Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 You just became head of the DNR >

You just became head of the DNR

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You just became head of the DNR

Old 12-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: You just became head of the DNR

Well technically, not much more than what's being done. The DNR doesn't make the rules, the State Congress does (usually based on the Game Departments recommendations) and local gun ordinances are decided by local political bodies. BUT, if I had a magic wand....
I'd change certain counties west of the mountains (State is generally managed as two zones East and West, with some variances per county) that have high enough populations, so that you can kill a second deer per day as long as one is a doe. A lot of times I don't take a doe because that would end my hunt for the day. I'd love to take a doe early in the afternoon and keep hunting for that buck.
Other than that, stiffer enforcement against road hunters, an all inclusive sportsman's license (and lifetime version) that would save me from having to buy anything again except National Forest stamp (or duck stamp if you hunt ducks). More Game Wardens.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 AM

IL

1. Bring back check stations
2. 1 buck per year max
3. Push firearms opener back 1 week.
4. Some type of 'qualifying' method to be issued a hunting liscence/deer permits, good for a few years. Right now there are way too many goons roaming around.
5. Make the hunter safety program more intense, right now it is a joke.maybe teach a little more 'respect' for other hunters.
6. No antler restrictions of any kind. it should be entirely up to the individual. One deer shouldn't be more legal than another.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

1 Go back to check stations, get rid of tele check alot of deer being killed and not being checked in. 2 Open season on turkeys. Turkeys are way over populated and hurting our deer herd other than that
I wouldn't change a thing in Ky.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rybo - you let me know when you're running for office or applying to PGC for employment. I'll vote for you or write you a letter of reference in a heartbeat.

I couldn't have said it any better.

I would also dramaticallyincrease the number of WMU's in the Commonwealthand do more micro-managing of the whitetail herd - cutting the doe license allocations in areas where the densities are low, increasing the allocations in areas where the densities are high.

I'd tighten the screws on the penalties for not only game law violations, but also for ATV misuse, trespassing, etc.. and funnel more funding into securing more public hunting acreage - whether it be farmer co-op, leases or additional tracts of gamelands. I would have zero tolerance for motorized vehicles or other unauthorizedactivity onstate gamelands.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:38 AM

I think the rules already on the books need to be explained better. This was my first year in an earn a buck zone. I wanted to know if a crop damage permit counted towards the earn a buck and it took a half hour for the game warden to read the new rules and figure it out.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:40 AM

For me, it woud start with teaching this Country what REAL Whitetail management is. Here it is called the MNR and they don't have a CLUE how to manage Whitetail. In fact, I think they would rather see the Whitetail population wiped out completely. A farmer can destroy 90 Acres of bush (which in my area is a LARGE section) and turn it into farm land, without much of a fuss at all. Happens way more than it should.
After that, I would reduce the amount of tags allowed. Here, for archery season only, a hunter gets their regular tag, which is good for buck OR doe, then they can buy up to 6 more, extra tags, that are for doe only. You can buy ALL 6 right at the start. You don't have to wait until you fill one tag to go get another.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:40 AM

One question.

Why do some of you have a problem with the early youth seasons?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: animalized

For me, it woud start with teaching this Country what REAL Whitetail management is. Here it is called the MNR and they don't have a CLUE how to manage Whitetail.
Oh how true that statement is......
Old 12-07-2006, 09:59 AM

1. Implement a hunter host system in saskatchewan where americans could be hosted every 2nd year and also canadian residents would have to be hosted for deer as well rather than open like it is right now.

2. In my zone have a depredation hunt on the mule deer, killem all.

3. Implement a law that hunters must take one wt doe before they are eligable for a buck tag.

4. Open the second week of rifle elk up to either sex again. rather than bulls only.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I still don't get it, Sylvan. I say this with the UTMOST sincerity. WHY.....when people seem to be having a hard time finding mature animals.....would you want to be able to kill more bucks?

I think (and I may catch some flack for this....so be it) PA is doing it about as right as I can see.....based on the sheer size of the deer I see harvested from there. They have a TON of hunters....so they HAD to do something. I'v eseen some OUTSTANDING animals harvested from there.....and I've seen some on film that might ust still be walking around. If they hadn't implemented AR's.......who knows where they might be, today?????

It's just me.....but I'd give up "A" buck tag....to harvest a better (1) BUCK. ESPECIALLY if they gave me another doe tag.

That's just me, though.

Jeff

Quick Reply: You just became head of the DNR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.