Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Camp Ripley

Old 11-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Camp Ripley

I was just wondering if anyone here has participated in the Minnesota Camp Ripley hunt! If you have I was just wondering how yu did and when should I apply to possibly hunt in that!
Old 11-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Spike

Default RE: Camp Ripley

I have hunted camp ripley a lot. I was 13 the first time. It is a very different kind of hunting. Not for everyone, but my family has been hunting there since the 70's so its kind of a ritual. Its a lottery to get into, and I apply for it when I buy my archery license in august sometime. My party got 4 deer this year hunting the first hunt. 2 does and 2 bucks.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never heard of Camp Ripley. Can someone shed some light on whats different about it.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Spike

It's a limited draw hunt on a military reservation in North Central Minnesota. Good quality deer do come out of there.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I really want to get in there hopefully! I heard you have a better chance if you apply as a group instead of by yourself!
Old 11-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt in the area and theres good deer genetics,you will see other hunters driving the woods there which I wouldnt like,lot of party hunting I`ve heard.I saw a picture in the minnesota outdoor news of a buck a guy shot there this year with a pop can and part of a parachute tangled in its rack
Old 11-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted it, and it is very different. You do have a chance at a monster no doubt. But you wait in a line miles long to enter a couple hours before light, no scouting you need to be out hour or so after dark. Guys WILL walk in on you and you WILL walk in on guys unless you know where you are going from previous hunts. Cool hunt people come from all over the country. They do shoot some slobs out of there every year. Worthwhile as long as you expect to run into a few guys.