Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Camp Ripley

Old 01-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Camp Ripley

Has anyone hunted Camp Ripley? What are some good areas to begin looking at on topo and arial photos for next fall? Have you seen many big bucks there?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:04 PM

Default RE: Camp Ripley

well .,i have not hunted it but i have friends that do .,the big reason i don't hunt it ., is way to many hunters for me.,my bud was there this past season and said hunters were setting up 40 and 50 yards fromother hunters ., and when you think you have found that one spot? so have 30 other hunters., and yes there are some big bucks taken., go to the MN dept,of natural resources web site and look up camp Ripley hunt., it will tell you how it went this past year., good luck to you!!
Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mnsqueeze

well .,i have not hunted it but i have friends that do .,the big reason i don't hunt it ., is way to many hunters for me.,my bud was there this past season and said hunters were setting up 40 and 50 yards fromother hunters ., and when you think you have found that one spot? so have 30 other hunters., and yes there are some big bucks taken., go to the MN dept,of natural resources web site and look up camp Ripley hunt., it will tell you how it went this past year., good luck to you!!
You hit the nail on the head on the people part! Morrison county I think is the top county or one of the top counties in the state for Pope And Young bucks taken in Minnesota.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:15 PM

I too havent hunted it but firends of mine who have almost treat it like a western hunt. Get as far off a road as you can and away from the easy spots, because there are alot of people....and big deer.

If you decide to do it, you should probably plan on treating your first year as a scouting year as they allow absolutely no pre hunt scouting. Guys who hunt it every year have their spots they return to year after year and it will take you a bit to find yours. I'm not sure if you are required to stand hunt or not, but if it was my first yearAND it was allowed,I would do alot of still hunting, cover ground, and use a GPS to its full advantage so that the following year you know where you are headed and plan on bringing one of those big boys home.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep go in early and come out late. Head back by the river.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont even apply anymore due to all the hunters.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:37 PM

Not sure whether to stay on the southern side or go north with everyone else. Any advice?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been to Ripley 5 of the last six years. It's a blast!! The camping part of it is really fun. Don't feel like you have to go to the North side. I know people that hunt just a mile or two out from the gateand they see a ton of deer. I don't see nearly as many deer as a lot of people out there but basically, I just set up on a good funnel w/ a lot of sign. Between my buddy and I we've gotten 3 deer, the best being a 185 pound 8 point. Seen many other nice ones.

I wouldn't hesitate to go up there. It's fun. Yes, there's a lot of people but it's totally possible to find a spot away from everyone else.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:22 PM

Has anyone hunted near Mud Lake or Tamarack Lake?