Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Waiting it out

Old 11-25-2006, 01:36 PM

Default Waiting it out

Had a good morning. Started out with a couple does under my treeat forst light. Had a good buck trailing a couple does at about 8:30. So I was getting downin my climber at 10 after 11 when I saw him walk past a doe heade dstraight for me. I froze, pulled up my bow, nocked an arrow and there he was at 35 yards in the wide open. I don't usually shoot that distance but felt confident enough to take the shot at a calm deer. I must of worried about my up and down too much because that part was right on. However, my arrow hit a foot back from where I wanted it to as dead center in the middle of the guts as you could get. The buck trotted about 20 yards and stopped. I glassed bloodtrickling from his side far back. He froze for about10 minutes and then slowly walked up hill 15-20yards before I lost him. I waited a half hour and then climbed down and headed to the truck.
I got a speeding ticket on my way home. 83 in a 70.
Iam going to wait until morning before I track this deer. I hate the fact that the meat will probably be ruined, but I don't want to run the risk if jumping him and coming up with nothing. It is 63 here in K.C. and will only get down to the mid 40's for a low tonight.
I hope I am doing the right thing.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Waiting it out

You could go out around 7 or 8 but morning might be best if you don't want to try after dark. Your doing the right thing and other than yotes, your meat should be fine in the morn.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:57 PM

Wow, your arrow hit 1 foot back from where you were aiming??? Sounds like a little adjustment is in order. Good luck finding that one, but you cant give up on it. You are doing the right thing and waiting till morning.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are definitely doing the right thing! Good luck in recovering the buck!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

remember the deer may die shortly before you get there. Don't assume the meat is bad. Good luck finding him, you did good to back out.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

remember the deer may die shortly before you get there. Don't assume the meat is bad. Good luck finding him, you did good to back out.
That's a good point. My buddy shot a doe one evening a couple weeks ago, and we didn't start tracking until 10:00 the next morning. We found her piled up 150 yards from the scene of the crime, and she wasn't stiff yet. Only been dead about 30 minutes.....Good luck!
Old 11-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bet hes piled up within 100 yards of where you last saw him. That is if you or anything else did not jump him. Good luck lets see the pics when you get back.