Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How difficult should a climber be? >

How difficult should a climber be?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How difficult should a climber be?

Old 10-16-2006, 01:12 PM

Default RE: How difficult should a climber be?

I have an Ol Man Vision and an API magnum supreme and love both of them. I use the Ol' Man for bowhunting due to the open front when the top is turned down as a footrest. Practice will make you more efficient at setting up. I put my safety harness on before heading into the woods so all I have to do is set up and climb. I try to find the same size tree to climb so I only have to adjust one side of the cable. I have a gun/bow rack attached to the top portion of the API so no string needed. It only takes about 10 minutes to setup and climb, including hanging the EZ hanger when I get situated. I've seen guys do it even faster in a Viper.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I have an API I've been using for about 12 or 15 years. A long time anyway. I don't think it's hard at all. It's quiet as all get out climbing the tree. I like the wrap around feel. I've changed the seat to a more comfy type from a Buckshot climber I have. The API is rock solid going up and down and once you lash it in when you're in place it makes NO noise. I change the chain coverings about once a year.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

This is why I love these forums. DH and I are looking at buying a climber and was looking at the Summit. The one we were looking at was only 14 pounds, but the store sold the last one. I want something light and easy to use, so I can pack in and out by myself with no problem. I'msmall so dont want something too heavy, but quick. I did use a climber last week with the cable and pin set up. Didnt have a problem getting up, but getting down the bottom was hard to let down. Several times I had to pick it up with my hands to loosen it. We have been hunting more public ground and dont want our stands stolen, and we always seem to have to move stands more than we would like. Thanks for all the info!!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Spike

I have a Lone Wolf Hand Climber (I don't use the normal hand climbing method; I sit on the seat and pull up the platform with the nylon straps that hold the seat to the platform). It takes me about 15-20 minutes to climb into position.

It is critical that I estimate correctly the amount of "up" angle I need on the platform on the bottom of the tree so that it will be level when I reach my desired height. Several times I have been far enough off that it was necessary to climb back down and re-adjust.

The climbing process involves the following:

1. Unpack the stand. The folding portion of the platform must be "unfolded" to the climbing position. Secure the plaform onto the tree with proper "up" angle. Secure the seat to the tree. Attach the two nylon straps to hold the seat and platform together.

2. Attach the pull-up string from my bow to the seat.

3. Climb onto the platform, attach my tree rope, and attach my harness to the tree rope. My harness is already on: it is sewn into my Primos vest.

4. Begin to climb: sit on the seat and pull up the platform. Stand on the platform, move the tree rope up, and raise the seat. Repeat.

5. Pull up my bow.

The type of tree makes a big difference with the Lone Wolf "belts" rather than the more rigid Summit cables: a rough bark tree like a cherry can be a pain with noise and snagging the belts.

Also, it is often necessary to readjust the seat as I ascend and the tree diameter becomes smaller. This adds time to the process.

Still, 15 to 20 minutes is not a problem as long as I can climb quietly and safely. Once I am in position, the rest of the preparation (detach and hang quiver, arrow ready, put on release and arm guard, face mask, etc.) takes another 5 minutes or so. However, this can be done with very little movement or noise, so it is also not a problem.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:52 PM

I have used a Summit cobra XL, whick i dont believe they make anymore. It has been the best tree stand that I have seen. It weighs only 17lbs, and is really quiet and durable. I have used this stand for 5 years and the cables are just now starting to wear out. As far as set up time, it takes me 5 minutes or less. It is serioulsy an easy setup, and if it is taking you 20 minutes to setup you are doing something wrong. I would check Summits line out.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

15 minutes is totally doable. if i hurried i could go from stand on my back to 20' up in less than five minutes. i guarantee it! probably another 8-10 to get everything situated when up in the tree.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

summit openshot 14pounds 7 or 8 min. on the tree and 25ft. high.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

i have a summit x4. hunters view hawk and an ol man.
ol man gets the nod all around,just got it this year and love it.
the other two are good but just not ol man good.
summits are noisierclimbing and setting up,the cables shrink wrap wears off fast.and i need to get rid of the stirrups i hate those things .going back to straps i climb quieter and have better control but good comfy stands .
the hunters view is heavy but comfy and quiet .
they all take aboutfifteen minutes toget up the tree and ready to hunt.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

I use a Summit Python. It's easy to carry, easy to climb and I'm set upwithin 5 minutes from the time I take the stand off my back til I start climbing. I feel secure when in the tree as well, no wobbling on noise. I recomend a Summit