Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How difficult should a climber be? >

How difficult should a climber be?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How difficult should a climber be?

Old 10-16-2006, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How difficult should a climber be?

ORIGINAL: kinny

I've used a Summit Viper for the last 4 years or so and I find it VERY hard to believe you guys are getting that thing off your back, around the tree (top and bottom) with trial and error to find the correctcable length, get your bow tied on, get your harnesssecured and tied to the tree, and then climb (with a harness ) 15 feet in a couple of minutes and do it quietly.Come on now! How about in the dark?
I would estimate a solid 20 minutes for myself. Those cables aren'tthat easy or quiet to use, you've got to make every move with those cables delibrately or your going to be banging away.
I also have a summit viper (love it)and after I got used to my "system," if i'm not up the tree in 10 minutes from the time I arrive, then I'm waaaaay behind. The only time it takes longer iswhen the weather is really hot and I have to get dressed at my tree. I do it the same every time, and a red LED headlight is a must. I leave my bowstring attached to my stand, roll it up and tie it off. I put my harness on under my clothes before I walk in. I climb with my pack on. After a while you will geta feel judging the tree diameterfor what length your cable needs to be. It goes much quicker if you move smoothly and don't get ina hurry.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

i got a summit viper as well. im with dwd..if it takes me longer than 10 minutes i did something wrong. do it in the dark all the time. light enough...easy to pack and carry. easy to setup and use. comfy..feel secure..im satisfied!!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm a Summit man as well.Bullet Backpacker Model
Old 10-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

i only have 1 problem with my summit...sometimes the bottom bites into the tree and it is very difficult to get down. One time a friend had to actually climb up and loosen the stand for me.. I recently tried by friend gorilla sit down stand up climber and i have to say i was impressed with this stand more than the summit
Old 10-16-2006, 09:38 AM

I lile to go out and pick a tree ahea dof time and put the stand on it and have the cable length figured out prior to taking it hunting. If I do that I can get up the tree in less than 30 minutes. I always give myself plenty of time. But I love my climber!!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Summit Goliath and I am 350 pounds. The stand is awesome, completelysilent when climbing and taking the cables out is not noisy either. THere certainly are ways to make noise with them, but witha little caution, they are quiet. This is the first climber I have ever used, and I am very happy with it. As fas as time getting set up, it kinda depends on the person. I just put the side bags on and that has sped me up a little because everything I need is right in there, so no more backpack to mess with. Speed of climb is completely variable with the person doing the climbing. I am a fairly fast climber, mostly because I'm tall, so I can take a big swipe with each move. I use the climber as a genuine sit + climb, meaning the top section only goes as high as my butt. Another guy I know Can get about 4 feet per swipe because he is like an orangutan when he climbs, hanging from the top section then pulling his body up through the top and then bringing his legs all the way up, so his ascent is really fast. With 4/5 swipes he can be ready to hunt. I would recommend doing a little practice pre-season, or at least before you try and do it in the dark. SUmmit I would say are the best made, if for no other reason than they are welded so there are no parts to rattle. Also, for the people that say they dig in too far, with all the weight I put on it, I haven't had mine get stuck yet. Also, wouldn't rather have digging in be the problem, as opposed to not gripping?
Old 10-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any summit users who have a problem with them digging in can grind the teeth down some. I used a belt sander and it did make a difference, quieter too. If yours is already completly silent disreguard the advise. LOL
Old 10-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Gorilla. I am 30 and weigh 210. I can get set up with cable lengths, everything attached and up the tree, safety strapped, pull up bow and be ready to hunt in about 7 minutes. Shortcuts I take-

- Wear an LED head lamp when it is dark
- Put on your harness at home and wear it to the woods. It is much easier and quieter to put it on in the light at home. Once you get up the tree all you have to do is attach the tree loop and hook on.
- Have one of the cable sides in the center hole position so I only have toadjust one side to fit the tree (works for all medium size trees)
- I attach the foot portion first so I have something to rest the seat portion on while attaching the cables.
-Have your bow hoist (I have one of the self recovering ones) attached permenantly so all you have to do is attach your bow and climb.
-To make sure the stand is quiet make sure it is tight and not sagging. Sometimes this means it is a little too tight at the bottom and tilting up a little. I have adjusted my cables to tighten them whileup the tree too, just don't tell my wife or my mom LOL!!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BDC

I have two climbers, an API grand slam and a Summit Cobra XLS. I bought the Summit this year because I thought I could attach it to the tree faster than the API. I thought this would shorten set up time. I found that it is six in one hand and a half dozen in the other. It takes me about 20-30 minutes with both.

I dont like the API when it comes to attaching it to the tree. Its hard for me to align the pins through the plastic coated chains in the dark. I thought the cable system with the summit would be easier and it is. But the problem I encountered with the summit was with climbing. Once the API is on the tree I can shoot up the tree in no time. The summit however takes twice as long to climb. The cable on the bottom part of the stand bends too easy. It puts unecessary drag on the stand making it twice as hard to lift.

I find the seat too large. The seat is very comfortable once in position but is very uncomfortable while climbing. It pushes into my chest and abdomine forcing me away from the tree. This would not normally be a big deal but the stand only offers about two inches of grip since it has the open front.

I like the summit when it comes to attaching it to the tree. I like the API better when it comes to climbing. They are both even once I am at hunting height.
BDC, great review of both the summit and api. I recently bought the API grandslam after over a year of debate between it and the summit.I chose the api because of the handles on the front of the seat. I do wish api would change the pin system though.

takes me about ten-fifteen minutes to get completely setup
Old 10-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I been using the Vipers since they came out in 96 (?) I think. I wouldnt trade them for anything. I bought a Goliath for this year just for the extra room (210 pounds here) and I have to say Im in love. This is my 4th new Summit and I think its the best yet IMO. As far as time needed to set up and climb it doesnt take but a few minutes from back to hunting. I been doing it long enough to do it with my eyes closed. The rapid climbers and new cable locks are a dream. Call me a very happy customer...again..lol.

Quick Reply: How difficult should a climber be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.