Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How difficult should a climber be? >

How difficult should a climber be?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How difficult should a climber be?

Old 10-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How difficult should a climber be?

How difficult should setting up a climber be? How long does it usually take you? What kind systems are out there in terms of the cable or whatever that wraps around the tree?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How difficult should a climber be?

I use an Ol'man climber. Absolutely not difficult. The cable goes around the tree and into the tube on the other side with a loop, pin clamp goes through, very easy, very easy to climb with it, very easy to carry, pack etc...

The Gorilla is the same stand, you would never have had the trouble you had with your story. I also hear good things about Summit but it sounded like you were talking about their cable system?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I have 2.

The first one I have no name brand name. I love it but it's for rifle only as it 's like a roll cage. It's held together by 4 pins. Takes me less than one minute to assemble and get up the tree quietly.16 pounds.tubular steel
I'm too heavy for it now. I wouldn't put a man in it over 250 pounds. Very comfortable.You face the tree when set up. Limited shooting angles.

My next one is a Summit Bullet backpacker. I've used it now for 3 years. From the time it comes off my back till I get up the tree ..probably about
10 minutes if I hurry.24pounds ..very comfortable. cables ...my archery stand.can shoot 360 degrees.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:36 PM

Same here, API Grandslam bowhunter. Set up takes less than 3 min., easy to climb. Lightweight to carry, easy to pack, stable, based on your story, it's everything that your climber you used is not.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Climbers, although it takes practice like anything else, can be used quickly and efficiently. I own one am able to get up the tree in I would guess 1-2 minutes max. I am however 18 and can move pretty easily. Getting it set up takes probably 3-4 minutes, so in all, taking it off your back until your up in the tree I would say about 5 minutes. I have mastered mine and am able to do it nearly silently now and very fast. I would suggest practicing before taking it out in the field. Find the secrets of making it quite and quick.

Mine has a cable lock system and I love it. You cannot beat the portablity of a climber. I hunt here in our timber and nearly 120 miles away as well so it's nice being able to have the mobility in one stand instead of having to put up 5 climber and pay for all of them, and risk them being stolen. With a climber you can move to where the deer are in a matter of minutes.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

DK,

One word: SUMMIT! Trust me, okay? Trust me... Look at the Summit types of treestands. They are absolutely awesome!

www.summitstands.com

I have the Summit Viper X4 (from 2 years ago) and it is the most lightest, quietest, and most rugged, climber I have ever owned.

The cable system on Summit stands is an ingenious design and is real quiet to hook up. Plus, there is nothing poking you, banging into you while walking into the woods. The two pieces mesh together perfectly with absolutly ZERO noise! The other thing about Summit stands is that they are comfortable. I mean, so comfortable, I have actually dozed off a few times than I'd care to admit!

Butch A.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:44 PM

I've used a Summit Viper for the last 4 years or so and I find it VERY hard to believe you guys are getting that thing off your back, around the tree (top and bottom) with trial and error to find the correctcable length, get your bow tied on, get your harnesssecured and tied to the tree, and then climb (with a harness ) 15 feet in a couple of minutes and do it quietly.Come on now! How about in the dark?
I would estimate a solid 20 minutes for myself. Those cables aren'tthat easy or quiet to use, you've got to make every move with those cables delibrately or your going to be banging away.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kinny

I've used a Summit Viper for the last 4 years or so and I find it VERY hard to believe you guys are getting that thing off your back, around the tree (top and bottom) with trial and error to find the correctcable length, get your bow tied on, get your harnesssecured and tied to the tree, and then climb (with a harness ) 15 feet in a couple of minutes and do it quietly.Come on now! How about in the dark?
I would estimate a solid 20 minutes for myself. Those cables aren'tthat easy or quiet to use, you've got to make every move with those cables delibrately or your going to be banging away.
LOL! Welcome to never neverland.

I can't do it without a system, or better said do it right. Mine is put together with 5 bungee's. I grab it with one hand and place it against the tree with the seat facing me, undo the bungee's. Then pull out the belt to the seat, through it around the tree, lift it in place and feed in the belt. Seat is done. The base is done the same except for a feature only my stand comes with. It's ready to climb after I attach the remaining gear.

After practising it several timesit can be done in the dark. With out the systemit is frustrating and I have been very heated up before sitting down. Really is worth the discipline. Any stand can be used, some are just better suited for the job.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:49 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

I have two climbers, an API grand slam and a Summit Cobra XLS. I bought the Summit this year because I thought I could attach it to the tree faster than the API. I thought this would shorten set up time. I found that it is six in one hand and a half dozen in the other. It takes me about 20-30 minutes with both.

I dont like the API when it comes to attaching it to the tree. Its hard for me to align the pins through the plastic coated chains in the dark. I thought the cable system with the summit would be easier and it is. But the problem I encountered with the summit was with climbing. Once the API is on the tree I can shoot up the tree in no time. The summit however takes twice as long to climb. The cable on the bottom part of the stand bends too easy. It puts unecessary drag on the stand making it twice as hard to lift.

I find the seat too large. The seat is very comfortable once in position but is very uncomfortable while climbing. It pushes into my chest and abdomine forcing me away from the tree. This would not normally be a big deal but the stand only offers about two inches of grip since it has the open front.

I like the summit when it comes to attaching it to the tree. I like the API better when it comes to climbing. They are both even once I am at hunting height.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an api shooting star or something like that. easy as heck to get up the tree. I wouldn't have said that the first 5-6 times I used it though. the first time I used it was a complete nightmare, I fell part way down the tree and never felt safe the whole time I hunted. Now going up and down the tree just seems natural. once you get used to it it's easy as can be.

Mine has a lot of exposed aluminum (loud, clankyalumininum), I wrapped much of it in camo duct tape. took a lot of the noise out of setting it up.

Quick Reply: How difficult should a climber be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.