Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What Do You Do To Pass The Time On Stand? >

What Do You Do To Pass The Time On Stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Do You Do To Pass The Time On Stand?

Old 10-10-2006, 10:57 AM

Default RE: What Do You Do To Pass The Time On Stand?

I take a nap!
Old 10-10-2006, 11:09 AM

I actually had a darn squirle climb up the tree I was in & get withing a foot of me & make me about swallow my tounge when I noticed it & who knows how scared that sucker was. lol
Old 10-10-2006, 11:31 AM

Sleep.

Read.

Sleep.

Read...

Sleep...It's a viscious cycle.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I contemplate the splendor of nature around me , watch the various critters pass by , sometimes play a video game(I have several handhelds for this) , and when the day starts to slow down I settle in for a mid morning nap . I've found that the sound of my snoring is the greatest game call ever , there's usually deer nearby when I awaken . Of course they always sense that I'm awake and take off fast enough to windburn their own butts ... [&o]
Old 10-10-2006, 11:47 AM

I take a book if I am sitting all day.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really spend the time thinking about life in general, it is very therapeutic for me. While I do have asecure job and career that I am pretty good at and the$$$ is great, I hate living in the suburbs and I don't enjoy my job so I am usually extremely thankful to just be out there in the country and to be able to feel the crisp air on my face and to not have to hear the sound of thruway traffic.I am not asuperreligous person...............however every morning in the dark after climbing into my stand I take a few minutes to think about the fact that I am fortunate to be where I am at that time, and Ithank our creator for me being healthy enough to be there,for having a job that allows me the time to be there (even though I don't enjoy the job), and for having primeland to hunt as well . It is a great opportunity for me and I rarely need outside entertainment unless I am there for an all day sit during the rut. I normally don't hunt all day during early season, only till 11 or so usually so I don't need anything to keep busy except maybe an occasional frisky pair of squirrels, a brave chickadee, a small flock of turkeys, or if I am lucky a deer or two or ten. [8D]

My main hunting vacation that I take every year is during the first full week in Nov from the 4th to the 12th, those days I will normally stay on stand all day or only get down to go to an evening stand location. Normally the first 2 days or so in a row I am OK on stand all day without entertainment, however on about the 3rd day I will normally get down go to the camp/house and get some food and socialize with the other guys a bit, then head out again. Sometimes I will take a nap as well in the woods during the afternoon once the sun comes overhead and warms me up a bit. I only ever nap when I am in my non-typical lite climber, it's the only stand I have ever felt safe enough to do that in that wasn't permanent. It feels like my recliner at the house......[8D]

Maybe I will have to find a electronic game for myself this year during the rut, or a good book to read.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm either thinking up a story of where I've been or how I'm going to beg forgiveness from the wife. After 18 yrs, it's getting tougher and tougher for new ideas. I'm finding out now it's taking an all day hunt for a really good one.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

I often find myself thinking about what I would do if I won the lottery. This weekend I got so tired I actually thought aboutcinching myself right up to the tree with my saftey belt so I could sleep and not fall out of my stand. One neat thing I observed over the weekend was watching how deer eat acrons. They would chew them up (very loud) spit out the shell and consume the nut. As neat as it was I still hung one from my meat pole yesterday.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:58 PM

I have that Motorola SLVR cell phone with the memory card in it. I downloaded about 50 games to it from Limewire. That's what I do. Play cell phone games.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Most of the time just enjoy the peace and natures radio. But I have been know to pull out a book or two. Last week I started Neil Pearts book, Ghost Rider. Great read.