HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What Do You Do To Pass The Time On Stand?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Rick James
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Do You Do To Pass The Time On Stand?

I really spend the time thinking about life in general, it is very therapeutic for me. While I do have asecure job and career that I am pretty good at and the$$$ is great, I hate living in the suburbs and I don't enjoy my job so I am usually extremely thankful to just be out there in the country and to be able to feel the crisp air on my face and to not have to hear the sound of thruway traffic.I am not asuperreligous person...............however every morning in the dark after climbing into my stand I take a few minutes to think about the fact that I am fortunate to be where I am at that time, and Ithank our creator for me being healthy enough to be there,for having a job that allows me the time to be there (even though I don't enjoy the job), and for having primeland to hunt as well . It is a great opportunity for me and I rarely need outside entertainment unless I am there for an all day sit during the rut. I normally don't hunt all day during early season, only till 11 or so usually so I don't need anything to keep busy except maybe an occasional frisky pair of squirrels, a brave chickadee, a small flock of turkeys, or if I am lucky a deer or two or ten. [8D]

My main hunting vacation that I take every year is during the first full week in Nov from the 4th to the 12th, those days I will normally stay on stand all day or only get down to go to an evening stand location. Normally the first 2 days or so in a row I am OK on stand all day without entertainment, however on about the 3rd day I will normally get down go to the camp/house and get some food and socialize with the other guys a bit, then head out again. Sometimes I will take a nap as well in the woods during the afternoon once the sun comes overhead and warms me up a bit. I only ever nap when I am in my non-typical lite climber, it's the only stand I have ever felt safe enough to do that in that wasn't permanent. It feels like my recliner at the house......[8D]

Maybe I will have to find a electronic game for myself this year during the rut, or a good book to read.