Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 That was a first >

That was a first

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

That was a first

Old 10-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default That was a first

Sunday evening I was able to get out for a short hunt. I decided to hunt in a stand location I had cut shooting lanes for a couple of months ago. Wasn't really sure how good of a spot it would be but since there was a couple of White Oaks dropping nuts I thought it would be worth a shot. Then about 7:15 out came a doe on the trail just how I had it planned a perfect 13 yard quarting away shot. As luck would have I drew back my bow and placed my sight on her vitals then CRACK the worst sound I have every heard. I thought what the #%$% just happened!! I noticed my arrow flight was low and back, thanks to the lumenock. As the doe ran away I got to looking to see what the heck that noise was. After investigating the cam on my brand new Mathews Switchback XT had hit the top part of my climber when releasing. I guess from the steep angle the deer was at and the position of my climber there wasn't enough clearence for the cam. That is the first time that has ever happened. I was able to recover the deer but the shot was not where I had planned to place it. Needless to say I will take steps so that never happens again. Has anyone else ever had that happen to them before? The older I get the more benefit I see in lock on stands that do not have any obstructions in front of them.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: That was a first

No, I haven't! I exclusively use hang on stands though! Of course I've had arrows deflect of branches and such.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:33 PM

Default RE: That was a first

Kinda makes you wander what happened at first doesn't it?!!

It happened to me a few years back. My limb hit my stand and my bow came out of my hand and fell to the ground. The deer looked around trying to figure out what happened and there I sat with no bow. She stayed close for a few minutes and finally walked off. Like you, I will do my best to make sure that doesn't happen again!!

It seems like deer will make me make the most CRAZY mistakes!!

Glad ya found her!! Congrats!!