Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shooting buttons. >

Shooting buttons.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting buttons.

Old 11-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting buttons.

I will stand with Royak on this one. Hunting should be fun, as well as this board. Kill what you want, so long as it's legal. Be proud of your kills, enjoy the hunt, and the meals from the animals you kill, be they P&Y bucks or a button buck. I know which one I would rather eat!

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 11-12-2002, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

To change the subject , well kind of , we are talking about QDM practices so here goes.
I remember reading a thread here that discussed shooting adult does in order to have more bucks stay in the area. It was concerning a study that showed how mature does will run button bucks out of the area when they reached a certain age. By doing so , it would reduce inbreeding. The study showed that when the mature does were harvested by hunters , the overall majority of the button bucks would stay in the general area. Alot of folks look at this as good QDM to keep a big buck population in the area. But , my question is this , if we harvest the mature does to keep the young bucks in the area , wouldn't this create the very thing that the mature does are trying to prevent ; inbreeding?

<---Doug---<<<
Old 11-12-2002, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

6ptsika said:

&quot;grim reaper, it's physiologically impossible for a 7 month old deer to have an 8pt rack. Just not possible. Ask any biologist, I just did.
He'd have to refute the laws governing photoperiodism, testosterone, sexual maturity, well, just about everything we know about deer.
Where do you get this stuff? LOL &quot;

You beat me to it. They must have been injecting that poor little guy with testosterone while he was in the womb!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 07:20 PM

Go to deerfarmer.com or deer-farmer.com not sure which it is. These deer were born in captivity. There are pics too I think if not try an leave a message and he will send you pics. It was still feeding on his mother and the guy said he had to cut the horns off becouse they were rubbing her belly raw.

SJ no one here is even arguing but it seems as if you are trying to stir the s#it pot so get off it and lets talk deer management that's what this thread is about stop trying to bring other discusions to this thread.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-13-2002, 06:26 AM

If it,s brown it,s down I took 2 button bucks and one 6 pointer and the meat from the little one,s was the best damn meat I have ever had.As far as deer population is concerned I don,t think it is over populated I think the human race is getting alot larger thus pushing all the deer together.So I say take any deer you want and enjoy the meat.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

deermeateater in reality man has created more habitate for the whitetail than existed when Columbus discovered America. Whitetail are edge animals and every time a forest is cleared leaving strip of timber in gullys or as wind breaks it is creating more whitetail habitat, whitetail can not survive in deep woods exclusively, they need the edges more than the woods. Many parts of the country do have an over abundance of deer, heck in Va. you would have to kill 3 bucks and over 100 does before you could exceed your limit. You do have to buy bonus doe tags to accomplish this though and kill 2 deer every day of bow, black powder and gun to do it also.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club