Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave! >

Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave!

Old 10-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave!

I usually just drop a apple or my glove or something to get them out of there. all i do is put my hand over the edge and make little movement as possible and just drop it. They usually run a lil ways and stop and just walk away.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

My experience has been even if you try to do something to scare them off, since it's dark, they don't have the same fear as in daylight and they will just go off a little distance and wait and see what you are. I don't think being detected in the dark has the same lasting effect as being seen in the daylight.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:56 AM

I set a time, about 20 minutes after shooting time, to have my wife drive the truck out towards me and put the high beems just to the side of me in the field. This will blind them and I can climb down and stay in the dark. 50% of the time they just stand there. They never look at me as I escape. They only look at the truck. For those few times that she forgets or is out with the girls. I bring large rocks (golf ball size) and a coyote howler. I chunk them into the woods near the deer and then howl. They split. If nothing else works, I wait one hour and then suck it up and sneak out. Always get low to the ground so you look like an animal and not a human.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:19 AM

You guys may want to call me a sissy when I say this but the does I have no problem with. I can get out of stand and walk within twenty yards of them and they will just stay there and watch like no problem, like someone else said they put there guard down pretty good in the dark compared to daylight. But here is my problem, BUCKS! They just freak me out when they are around in the dark. I have had bucks be sixty yards away and when I start walking have had them fallow me out slowly trying to get closer to me. One time I had a small six pointer fallow me and I even tried the flashlight trick. Do you guys have this problem with bucks? I am just paranoid of it in rut time. Them either being to horny and trying to get to close, or being aggressive and charging me! What do you guys do about them?
Old 10-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

hehe good idea but you knwo what, mobile stands or any stand on wheels is not legal in all states such as in Wisconsin.

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

ORIGINAL: Copper31

I will either through a stick or drop something with as little movement as possible. If that doesn't work then I try to hit the panic button for my truck on my key ring. If that doen't work then I try and whistle. I have never gone past the whistle and sometimes the truck horn doesn't work either. I only have a few stands where it will reach
Copper31 deer stand.... .
Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can also try dropping your release straight down.But make sure you have a flash light befroe you do that. I do it all the time.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:41 AM

I agree. I would be afraid of them getting spooked and never wanting to come back to that area.

ORIGINAL: labhunter

Same thing happened to me this past Friday night... I had a bunch under me and in my pathy out of the woods. I just had to wait it out and they did eventually move on. It just seems longer because you are ready to leave mentally. If you are seeing good deer in a spot don't give them any reason to not hang out there again.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

carry a few rocks and throw them in the area of the deer , they are scared but they dont relize its a person
Old 10-16-2006, 08:24 PM

Hotburn, you aren't the only one, but I'm a female... I have an excuse. [8D] I won't carry doe scents with me during rut because my father in law nearly got himself killed one time. He was up in Michigan, had spilled doe in estrus all over himself and went out anyway. Next thing he knows, he has a small 6 pt. standing 10 yards behind him (he was on the ground) stomping and snorting... he turned around fast enough to see the thing charging him... he ended up shooting it right in the side of the mouth because it was close to point blank range when he got the shot off. Okay... so I probably shouldn't have told you that story... but that's my reasoning for freaking out! LOL

As for the original question, I don't know... I get down about 10-15 min. before shooting time is up when I am by myself. I don't like to walk out alone in the dark... so I'm a sissy too! LOL Funny thing is, there is nothing here in Indiana to hurt me, I just don't like being startled unexpectedly. If a deer jumped up 5 feet in front of me, I'd probably fall over from a heartattack right there. Hubby doesn't understand this, but I've only been hunting 4 years now and I wasn't raised in the woods like he was. He's the kind that will go set up a sleeping bag in the freakin' swamp overnightduring waterfowl season...

.... Not *I* said the sissy....
Old 10-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

>>I started barking like a dog, this just caused them to look at me [:@]

They were probably looking up the tree thinking, "Now how the heck did that dog get up there?"

I try and wait them out or throw sticks, barks and try and hit them. I have also seen a buck stumble on a couple of sticks and scare himself so badly he jumped straight up and run a few steps.

I think if you spook them once it isn't so bad, but if you get them used to getting spooked from your tree, find a new spot.