Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave! >

Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave!

Old 09-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave!

spooked is spooked.
I'm not sure. No matter what I do not want them to look up at me (because I'm owl hooting or coyote howling).

I'd drop my pack or something to make a big thud.
Exactly what I do. I drop my entire pack (take out my binocs first) and as soon as it hits the ground I snort as loud as I can. this has always sent the deer instantly running away but I do not think they associated that "trauma" with the location
Old 09-19-2006, 11:17 AM

Shoot an arrow at them!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like others have said, you can try throwing small rocks or pebbles that you can keep in some sort of a bag. I've heard this works pretty well.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

The best way I've found that doesn't spook them but they will wander away is to shine a flashlight on them. Flip it on and off to catch their attention. Then wave it back and forth.
That got me thinking. Dont you think that maybe ( this is a big maybe) That if they dont run off like you said that they will see or hear you climb down and if they do the scent you leave after they see the flashlight will maybe ejducate them? This probably sounds far fetched but maybe the next time they see a flash light they will associate it with humans? I dont know it was a crazy idea but I thought I might think out loud.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:59 PM

Iseem to have this problem (not sure if its really a problem!) almost every evening this year- I usually try to make minor noises or drop my bag, lower my bow, drop my seat cushion, whatever it takes.

This evening, just as I was getting ready to come down, I had 2 deer approx 10 yards behind me - not enough light tosee them clearly, but as I started to take off my release, i heard them run a short distance - 1 in front of me and 1 behinf me - and then to my amazement, they started to snort-wheeze, very loud, first 1 and then the other, this continued back and forthfor 5 mintues or so.

I have a (dumb) question -I usually have does hanging around at dusk, but would 2 does typically snort-wheeze - it really sounded like the deer where snort wheezing at each other, back and forth?I'm wondering, maybe these were two bucks? That would be nice!

Any thoughts?

Old 10-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might as well just climb down. Chances are they aren't going to be far off even if you do throw a pebble or two at them. This has happened to me a lot. I just grit my teeth and climb down.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:27 AM
Site Buck Guru

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this little trick. After sitting in your stand all night, you have probably built up an excess supply of Natural gas. Let her rip! After all, it clears the room at home and at work, why not fields? Give it a try, you'll still feel better even if it doesn't work!
Old 10-15-2006, 02:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

In my opinion if you are going to try and spook them a way, like throwing things, making goofy noises, yelling or hitting them with a seat cushion you might as well just climb down and walk past them. The way I look at it spooked is spooked.
I'd have to disagree with that. I think there are different levels of "spooked". You can make them leave the area with different trauma levels. I had 3 does last night 60 yards away in a field. I waited 30-40 minutes after dark and they wouldn't leave. I threw my bag to the ground and a couple minutes later shined my light waving it around at the ground next to them. They wandered off with a little trot to the woodline and then looked back. I shined my light again and they just walked back into the woods. I think that's a lot better way of getting them to leave than getting down, letting them see your movement, and possibly wind you. I'd rather have them slide out of the way then go bolting out of there mach 10 blowing.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I wish I had that problem.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

I bark like a dog ([&:])when I wantto drive deer awaybefore coming down- I can do a good imitation from years of practice . Sometimes the deer will try to locate the dog before leaving and stay there - then I might drop something to make a noise. I'll also throw in a squirrel barker (Knight and Hale or Primos) to help the ruse.I agree with the other posters that there are different kinds of spook. Anyway, works for me.
-fsh

Quick Reply: Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.