Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spooking the deer/scouting? Staying away.... >

Spooking the deer/scouting? Staying away....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spooking the deer/scouting? Staying away....

Old 09-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spooking the deer/scouting? Staying away....

I haven't set one foot on the property where I'll walk in and hang a stand on the afternoon of Oct 1, opening day here.
Was thinking about this comment I made while driving around tonight and glassing some possible new hunting grounds... This is the main difference in what I do that Don has the luxury of doing something different: he hangs his stands in the summer or immediately following the season, and I can't do that because I hunt public ground most of the time. I'm confident in having hung hundreds of stands though that I can walk in and make minimal noise that afternoon while setting up for that evening's hunt. It would be nice to have had a stand there for months, but just not possible...

Old 09-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

My stands are hung on the land I own and they stay there. Some have been for years. New ones are hung in the spring usually next to funnels I create by dropping trees. I use a mountain bike to check them when I can. Haven't for a while. First time I used one on the way out I notice something, there was no sign of me, just the bikes rubber tires here and there. You'd be amazed at what those things can go through. Other places stands just can't be left. There I either know where to go or scout them in the spring and use a climber with the locations in a gps. If I hunt a place unseen I just figure it will take some time to figure it out and learn what I can for next year. Hunted a place last year with the info I learned bumping deer the year before. It payed off. I know more this year.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm out of there 2 months before opening day. Most of them stay up and we check them during the summer. Trim shooting lanes, move a couple, add a couple etc.... Then we're gone to let the deer get nice and cozy.