Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 spooking the deer away scouting >

spooking the deer away scouting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

spooking the deer away scouting

Old 08-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default spooking the deer away scouting

When out scouting and even walking around glacing this time of year. Will that spook the deer away and change their pattern? I am afraid by me walking though the woods the deer may pick up my scent.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:16 AM

Default RE: spooking the deer away scouting

I don' t think a few trips through the woods will create much of a problem. Last year I had my large pines selectively cut, took all summer. (when it rained, they couldn' t get in.) I went back occasionally to check on the cutting, and the deer were still moving around some. Being curious, they were checking out the cuttings too. If you happen to jump one out a bed, don' t do it again, avoid the area. But if you make a pest of yourself, then they will move.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:33 PM

I agree with Russ

It takes a lot of fussing to really get them to up and move.

get in do what you gotta do and get out.

The winter is still better though do your bulk work
Old 08-17-2003, 01:52 PM

Many animals habituate to the presence of humans. Go in - do your scouting - take notes - Leave. Frequent human disturbance only alters distribution but an excess of disturbance may eventually alter carrying capacity.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live on a large WMA in North Georgia, there are thousands of people on the Southern end of this WMA annually in and out of hunting season. There are 40 miles of bicycle and horse trails throuhout the area not to mention the hikers and casual visitors to the area. Deer adapt to the human presence and pretty much ignore it. When the first string is dropped when archery season begins and the first cap is busted during muzzle loader season, all bets are off.
When I was a kid in Northern Wisconsin, the guys cutting pulp wood, would wait until their working buddies left the woods, and then would get into their stands and as likely as not, drop a deer as soon as the noise was quieted. In short, scout all you want and don' t worry about it. Most deer never travel more than seven or eight hundred yards from where they are born during their entire life. If you are truly scouting and learn as much as possible from their movements, feeding and bedding areas you will be in good shape.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just by your walking through the woods wont bother the deer ,not unless you did it everyday . Even then they wont leave the woods ,just change thier habits and adjust to your being there . Have you ever seen all the deer that live in big cities and are around people everyday. They learn to adjust more than you think . I think the biggest thing that affects hunting is when everyone suddenly goes to the woods on the week just before the start of the season and the deer don' t have time to get used to all the extra traffic . They go nocturnal in a flash .
Old 08-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer put up with a lot, especially when it comes in contact with humans. Deer stay in an area that offers food, shelter and security and if one of those things is permantely altered, then deer wil react and move out. That doesn' t mean they will move far. Deer are also very quick to determine if there is a nuisance or a direct threat by humans because in most cases they are constantly in contact with some form of human activity. I would do as others have said and scout my area. Just keep in mind that the deer are ALWAYS aware that you are or were there, just don' t overdo it......Good Luck!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scouting and spooking can be part and parcel, however as season approaches better to try and not alter their patterns to much. If you spook game then do what needs to be done, get out and let them settle back to comfort zones. I am a firm believer in scouting but as season approaches the last thing I do is scout where I want to hunt come opening day. Sometimes it must be done though, however think of scouting as hunting, go in as scent free as possible, stealth around and use the wind.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

As others have said, as long as you are not going through the same area every day or two you will not run them off. I scout on and off throughout the year, one way to confirm a bedding area is to jump a deer in the middle of the day, this teaches you several things, it confirms where deer bed, it confirms their escape route and also lets you know an area to avoid when going to and from a stand. I jumped a nice buck last week, I will avoid the immediate area where he is bedding and set up about 100 yards away where 3-4 heavily traveled trails come together, I have already determined how to enter and exit the stand and not mess with the bedding area.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:34 AM

Deer Tend to have a set pattern. If you spook a deer away its not a big deal, if you go out more than 5 times, go at different times of the day. Also if you see a deer, stop and break sticks and make noise. The deer will spook but not know by what. They will come back and you will be gone. Deer are smart, but aslong as they dont see you numerous times you have no worries