Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

spooking deer

Old 08-18-2004, 07:39 AM

Default spooking deer

When you come across a deer in the woods and they spook how far do they usually go?

I spooked a 4 pointer and he ran like 50 yards then layed in bushes watching me.. I got curious and spooked him again with the same results. Thought it was kind of funny because I could still see him.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: spooking deer

It all depends on the deer and what time of year it is. If it's in the middle of rifle season and your in a heavily hunted area then don't expect to see that deer stop anytime soon. However, if it's mid summer and you're on private land then I have had deer stop after 30 - 40 yards and look around.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had deer stand there and look at me while i am walking towards them. Some deer will just run a circle if you spook em, if you spook a good buck, sit down where you spooked him and theres a good chance he come sneaking back through the same area.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

theres a good chance he come sneaking back through the same area.
Had this happen the other day. Me and son were on 4 wheeler and jumped up a nice buck in the field. When we hit the trail in the woods we got off at the creek to mess around, and the buck came back and stood in the edge of the field watching us for about 15 min. Then trotted off.
Could still see him in the wood line tho.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:05 AM

Yea I suppose it being summer the deer aren't quite ready to hop the freight train to the next county yet.

In the same area I walked up on a a fourpointer (same one possibly/probably) in a field only about 25 yards away and he just stared me down. Snorted, stomped, and even took some steps towards me until he spooked and ran in the woods. I am not use to this summer time deer behavior.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:14 AM

It completely depends on the situation. A lightly pressured deer will get out of sight and then try to sneak a peak at you in most instances. They'll also try to sneak behind or down wind of you to get a better knowledge of what you are. If the deer have been pressured forget it. They'll like stop once they make the next county.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

If you are ever hunting an unknown place. As your making your move onto the land and you spook deer. I like to hunt right in that area. Chances are they will come back through the same spot. Just be real quite as you climb the tree. Always be on the look out for the deer off in the distance. Many of time in some of my spots, I have the deer moving back into the area while I still climbing. I've raised the bow many of time with deer 40 yrds off.