Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Latest overrated fad? >

Latest overrated fad?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Latest overrated fad?

Old 09-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Latest overrated fad?

A rangefinder useless? I highly doubt it. If I know EXACTLY how far a deer is, I WILL put an arrow through his heart. But yea, I'm sure YOUcan do that without one.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rick - I've got another one for you - Drop away arrow rests. I use a prehistoric, spring loaded plunger rest, and my bow is every bit as accurate as the next guy's, and I haven't had a tag go unfilled in years. I just don't see the reason that legions and legions of guys are scrapping their old TM style rests and forking out $90-$150 for the drop-aways where there really isn't any cognizable difference in performance. There are hordes of guys at the world championships shooting X's with your run-of-the-mill diving board rests. Seriously, you don't need to sell your first-born and buy a dropaway rest - it might make you the envy of the guys at the bowshop, but it won't make you any more likely to kill a whitetaildeer.

Now, my buddy has this special dropaway rest that grabs your arrow and holds it until you draw the bow, at which point it lets go of the arrow and raises it into position. He and I had this discussion, and he says "Well look at this!" and proceeds to tilt, turn and twist his bow upside down while the arrow stays anchored securely right on the rest. What the heck? Seriously, does this guy plan on hanging upside down like Batman and trying to hunt? Maybe I'm just missing something.

About the ground blinds, I half agree. I think manufacturers and consumers alike are going overboard on the ground blind kick. I know that they're very useful in certain setups, and they're good for extreme elements or guys who like to be on the ground, but I think the craze has gotten a little bit out of control. There are just too many manufacturers coming out of the woodwork with their designs to supply the demand driven by this little craze. I'm sure there's some profit-taking to be had, but the market has been flooded.

Camo - I agree 100%. I watched a buddy of mine travel the globe to every sports shop in the free worldlooking for a set of Mossy Oak Breakup scope mounts for his Mossy Oak Breakup turkey gun and his Mossy Oak Breakup scope. Seriously. Get a grip. Come on, if it's brown and green and speckly, and it looks like it might blend in, it's fine. I don't understand fashion camo. More deer have been killed in that el-cheapo Vietnam BDU camo than anything Mossy Oak or Realtree ever dreamed up. I'll concede that there are some patterns that work better in certain situations, but it has become excessive. In my opinion, there are simply too many people trying to patent a pattern and gobble up the existingmarketshare. The endless advertising drives me bananas.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:02 PM

WELL I own a Ground Blind, Rangefinder, Scent-lok Clothing. I don't have the bow yet. But maybe next year I'm not to crazy about my 02' Hoyt Magnatec. OH the reason I got the rangefinder is because I wounded a huge buck last year because I misjudged the distance.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Hold on now Quick. Dont start bashing my Muzzy zero effects.

I use fliper rests on some of my recurves and the shelf on my others, I even will shoot offtheknuckel with mylong bow, but for my training wheel bows, I love my Muzzy zero effects.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Translation:

1) I didn't want to shell out the bucks for carbon clothing.
2) Where I hunt.....we have trees.....though I didn't think about Texas when I mentioned ground blinds.
3) I agree RE: camo patterns. they're for the hunters.....not the animals. My plan is for them not to see me AT ALL.
4) I've not been bowhunting a long time......but I DO KNOW that yardages will play tricks on me from the perch of a treestand. I like having my 10oz. Bushnell with me if it's a place I haven't already flagged.
5) Parallel limb bows???? You lost me at "I have not shot one".

What is worth "my" money and what is worth "yours" is, quite likely (as evidenced), different.

Jeff
Old 09-07-2006, 03:09 PM

With regard to range finders, whereas some folks can judge range to within 2 to 5 yards, I'd say they are in a very, very small minority. Every bowhunter, or hunter in general, has a responsibility to make a clean, humane shot. Range finders greatly improve the odds of that happening.

I happen to like equipment and equipment advances. Parallel limbs are a great example. Back in the day, I used to shoot for High Country Archery. I can tell you that the Excaliber I used, with aggressive hatchet cams, had a great deal of recoil and hand shock that my current Mathews Switchback does not have.Not to mention that it had an extremely hard draw cycle, compared to the liquid smooth one with my present bow. Did I shoot deer with my High Country?....certainly I did. As I stated before none of these advances "guarantee success", they just improve your odds. The fact that you don't NEED them, doesn't make them fads or gimmicks. Best regards,

Red
Old 09-07-2006, 03:13 PM

I couldn't imagine hunting without a range finder. I really don't judge distance that well, and its even harder from a stand in the air. I like to know exactly how far a deer is from me, not a guess that may or may not be right. I don't use it when hunting though, I use when I set the stand up to range a perimeter around my stand. When a deer walks in that circle I know it's mine.

And it comes in very handy during shotgun and muzzle loader season. I certainly cannot tell the difference between 100 and 150 yards, and there is difference in point of aim with my set ups, and if it's beyond that I won't even take the shot.

The newer bows do make a difference. I can't believe someone would say that having never shot one. I have a 30 inch bow and it shoots like a 35 inch bow because it has a longer risor. Not to mention it has no recoil to speak of because the limbs cancel each other out and do not throw the bow forward during the shot.

In my eyes the three biggest gimmicks are Drop a way rests, mechanical broad heads and carbon arrows. Not that they are no good or don't work. Just that many are lead to believe that if you don't have them you won't be as accurate and you can't hunt without them. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

Drop a ways work well at what they were disigned for, giving you good rest clearance with arrows that won't allow an aggressive fletching (skinny carbons). In my opinion they are not more forgiving or more accurate. Some designs are better than others though.

Mechanical heads work, especially if you have enough bow to use them well. However many get them as a bandaid for proper tuning and then complain when they have bad luck with them. Mechanicals need to be tuned just as well as fixed blades. Just because they impact with your field tips doesn't mean they are flying well when they hit the target, which will reduce their efficiency. Not a big deal if you shoot 70 ft/lbs of energy with 450 grn arrows, but if you are border line on energy and shoot light arrows you best get your tracking gear out because you may need it. Again, some mechanicals are better than others. As a matter of fact some designs penitrate better than some fixed blades if tuned well.

And carbon arrows get better every year, but the whole "they are straight or broken" line is crap. And while they are durable, they are not indistructable. If you abuse your arrows you better be looking at them closely and often. An arrow spinner is a must!

I'm also not impressed that you can't find a decent affordable rugged 3 pin fiber optic sight. I don't need a fancy $100 sight with 20 feet of fiber optic cable and 5 adjustments on it. Just a nice 20 or 30 dollar one with solid easy to see pins is fine. Rests are the same way. It's getting harder and harder to find a decent rugged prong rest anymore. Either they are cheap POS rests or expensive drop a ways.

Holy crap! I think I'm getting old[]

Paul
Old 09-07-2006, 03:30 PM

The "Air Rest." Have you guys seen this thing??They gotcha on that one.....shoot, you even gotta buy THEIR inserts, or it won't work.....Holy moly what a money maker!
Old 09-07-2006, 03:31 PM

Just a short list of what some folks originally referred to as "fads":

compound bows
release aids
synthetic strings
sights
stabilizers
peeps
replaceable blade broadheads
harmonic dampers
perimeter weighted technology
single cam bows

carbon arrows
drop away rests
string suppressors
ball bearing roller guards and idler wheels

Etc., etc.,....most have become accepted gold standards for equipment and folks wouldn't think of going backwards in time or would suggest they haven't assisted in making an improved hunting bow set-up.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year was the first year I wore carbonclothing. I saw MORE and BIGGER bucks than any other year previous. You can call that coincidence if you want, but I will wear my carbon lining into the deer woods everyday.

Ground Blinds are a great tok to use I think, but I doubt I would pay the money for them, since I mainly use treestands.

I will NEVER go bowhunting without my rangefinder ever again. I feel that if I would have had one last fall I would of bagged a 140 inch 8 pointer that I misjudged. It takes the guesswork out of the shot and you know EXACTLY how far away that target is.

And on the parrellel bows, all I have to say is go shoot one. I found the difference between my 2 year old Browning and my new Switchback just unreal.

As for the came, I agree to a point. I think that some different types of variation are definantly needed, but sometimes they are taken a little overboard. I have different shirts, coats, bibs, that I wear for different stands and seasons that I am hunting. They just fit the surroundings better.

Quick Reply: Latest overrated fad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.