HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Latest overrated fad?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 02:56 PM
quiksilver
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Latest overrated fad?

Rick - I've got another one for you - Drop away arrow rests. I use a prehistoric, spring loaded plunger rest, and my bow is every bit as accurate as the next guy's, and I haven't had a tag go unfilled in years. I just don't see the reason that legions and legions of guys are scrapping their old TM style rests and forking out $90-$150 for the drop-aways where there really isn't any cognizable difference in performance. There are hordes of guys at the world championships shooting X's with your run-of-the-mill diving board rests. Seriously, you don't need to sell your first-born and buy a dropaway rest - it might make you the envy of the guys at the bowshop, but it won't make you any more likely to kill a whitetaildeer.

Now, my buddy has this special dropaway rest that grabs your arrow and holds it until you draw the bow, at which point it lets go of the arrow and raises it into position. He and I had this discussion, and he says "Well look at this!" and proceeds to tilt, turn and twist his bow upside down while the arrow stays anchored securely right on the rest. What the heck? Seriously, does this guy plan on hanging upside down like Batman and trying to hunt? Maybe I'm just missing something.

About the ground blinds, I half agree. I think manufacturers and consumers alike are going overboard on the ground blind kick. I know that they're very useful in certain setups, and they're good for extreme elements or guys who like to be on the ground, but I think the craze has gotten a little bit out of control. There are just too many manufacturers coming out of the woodwork with their designs to supply the demand driven by this little craze. I'm sure there's some profit-taking to be had, but the market has been flooded.

Camo - I agree 100%. I watched a buddy of mine travel the globe to every sports shop in the free worldlooking for a set of Mossy Oak Breakup scope mounts for his Mossy Oak Breakup turkey gun and his Mossy Oak Breakup scope. Seriously. Get a grip. Come on, if it's brown and green and speckly, and it looks like it might blend in, it's fine. I don't understand fashion camo. More deer have been killed in that el-cheapo Vietnam BDU camo than anything Mossy Oak or Realtree ever dreamed up. I'll concede that there are some patterns that work better in certain situations, but it has become excessive. In my opinion, there are simply too many people trying to patent a pattern and gobble up the existingmarketshare. The endless advertising drives me bananas.