Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Latest overrated fad? >

Latest overrated fad?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Latest overrated fad?

Old 09-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Latest overrated fad?

good odds that if it's from knight and hale it's a gimmick. what about that arm brace doo hickey they came out with. rests on your waste and wrist and keeps your bow steady. oh, "steady ready", it's called something like that. i'm sure we all need one of them. hehe

there are plenty of legit gimmicks out there. ground blinds and range finders ARE NOT gimmicks! I'll be getting a ground blind soon. there isn't a tree within 30 yards of my food plot.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 PM

What about a rangefinder for bowhunting? I would not even consider wasting my money on a laser rangefinder: I can tell the difference between 30 yards, 25 yards, and so on
I wouldn't consider getting in a tree without one................and I have been doing this for over 20 yrs............evenkilled one or two

How about the "parallel limb" bow?I have not shot a bow of this type, but it is hard to imagine the improvement over my 2002 Hoyt being enough to make it necessary for me to run out and buy one
Kinda dumb to quote on something you know nothing about.......LOL..

The new parallel limb bows shoot circles around your ole 2002 hoyt when it comes to kick, vibration and managable speed.........Its no fad.....

But i will not fail you on your post................you did say carbon.....so you pass.............You have never used carbon so you rally don't know what you are talking about..................but you knocked it.........so you made a good guess

you get a d-

keep on trying

Oh and Red Boar.....................

is what you say that freeking important dude........lol...........give me a break
Old 09-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

Love my Scent Lok (got 3 and I alternate them). Love my ground blind.
Blah, Blah, Blah.
Good Luck!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Typical Buck

TO all his own but ill take my range finder and scent blockers
I have no clue where the ground blind compliant is from

HOWS THIS TRY IT BEFORE YOU COME ON HERE AND COMPLAIN
Old 09-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Fork Horn

Has for the ground blinds, I think there overrated. I have shot my last 2 8pt bucks from sitting on the ground against a tree. I dunno, maybe im missing something, but i think there overrated and un-necassary. I guess unless your planning a full days hunt maybe so you can move around and not worry about movment. People are just getting to acustom to these luxory things. Each to there own though.

Hahaha, how about the last 5 threads about the "Buck Growl". Gotta luv that. Everybody thinks this thing is gonna call in deer from miles, and there going to be zippin in from every direction like on the "video" footage.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:44 AM

"Oh and Red Boar.....................

is what you say that freeking important dude........lol...........give me a break"

??? Not sure what you meant...maybe the font size? If so, I just think it is a ton easier to read. I guarantee my opinion is no more important than anyone elses. Although, I do try to respond to issues for which I have some direct experience and knowledge and I don't dismiss stuff out of hand that I haven't tried. Best to ya,

Red
Old 09-08-2006, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

love my rangefinder...and my new parrellell limb bow!!!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

Unless you hunt with a long bow withwooden arrows with rock broadheadsfrom the ground in a loincloth you have bought into a so-called 'fad'.

To each his own, if it builds YOUR confidence then more power to ya...

I guess the only downfall to today's technology and ALL of the products out there is that it diminishes our woodsmen skills.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:37 AM

in my personal opinion, which doesn't make it right, drop-away arrow rests take the cake in the fad department.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHntrRick

What would you say is the latest overrated fad?

A classic example of an overrated fad is the carbon clothing craze: from what I have read, the science of carbon clothes indicates that they work to a very limited degree and for a very limited time. At best, they are useful for three years with decreasing usefulness each of the three years. If you get the carbon clothes for free (in order to promote them on hunting shows), then they are worthwhile. For the rest of us, unless you have money to burn they are not worth the expense.

I don't know. Never tried it.

I suggest that the latest overrated fad is the ground blind: the Cabelas catalog has a gazillion variations (including carbon lined!?) for up to several hundred dollars.

While I can certainly see a few situations where a ground blind is useful, the overwhelming number of situations here in the east call for a tree stand. In addition to the fact that deer don't typically expect a predator to be above them (although some deer may be wising up about this) and the probable benefit of getting your scent above the air currents reaching the deer, I also very much enjoy the improved view that a tree stand affords. The tree stand is a tried and true method of bowhunting deer: I suspect that the ground blind is mostly another way to part a hunter from his money.

1. I like to hunt in all weather. It can rain or snow all day when i'm in my blind I'll be dry and comfortable.
2. It's much easier to bring fidgety youg hunters out their with you while in a ground blind
3. Safer
4. In some areas I hunt there are no suitable trees for a stand
5. Sure it may be the tried and true method, being above, etc. So what? just because it makes it easier it's better? Gun hunting is arguably easier than bowhunting so what Bow hunting is an overated fad?

I think another overrated fad is the numerous camo patterns. Does it really make any difference if you wear mossy oak, seclusion 3d, or realtree hardwoods? I can certainly see how predominantly lighter or darker camo would be preferable in certain situations, but most of us know what it is like to hang a tree stand in the early season, sit in it for a while as the sun begins to set, and have deer pass nearby while we are wearing ordinary clothes.

You may be right

What about a rangefinder for bowhunting? I would not even consider wasting my money on a laser rangefinder: I can tell the difference between 30 yards, 25 yards, and so on. This becomes increasingly true as arrow speedsincrease: many hunters simply use a single pin, perhaps aiming a little high for an obviously longer shot (30 yards) and a little lower for a short shot (10-15 yards).

Horse poop! As others have stated, I am horrible at determining yardage from 10-40 yards. And yes faster bows have decreased the need for knowing the difference between 20-30 yards but I do not own a "faster bow". I draw 55lbs max at this point. I owe it to the animal to know what distance i am shooting

How about the "parallel limb" bow?I have not shot a bow of this type, but it is hard to imagine the improvement over my 2002 Hoyt being enough to make it necessary for me to run out and buy one. I think I can wait until my present bowneeds to be replaced before moving up to the latest technology.

I do not own one but I have shot one. They seem to be very smoothe and produce way less hand shock than what I own. Not sure if it's a fad but it was way more comfortable to shoot. Do we NEED one? No, but do we really NEED more than a longbow?

One of the most useful aspects of a forum like this is the opportunity to question marketing "hype" and discover what is genuinely useful and worth our money.

I agree. and these are just my opinions.

Quick Reply: Latest overrated fad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.