Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 tuning problems... >

tuning problems...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tuning problems...

Old 08-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Spike

Default tuning problems...

As per my last post I have been having tunig problems. I was told that my arrows were too weak for my set up (65# 29 inches, goldtip XT 5575). New Beman 340's should be arriving today.
Anyway, something I noticed-- I pul lipstick on the vane closest the riser, and found that the vane had actually hit the riser ( thought it would hit the cable, which is why I did this)
Does this prove too weak an arrow spine?
What are the actual mechanics of the arrow as soon as it is released?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tuning problems...

I think you're on the right track going to a .340 spine.I'd say the 5575's should work, but sometimes not. Every setup can be a litle different. The fletch hitting the riser could also mean that your centershot is off. GUess you'' find out when you get those new arrows.

Let us know how things go.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:26 PM

A few questions about your setup... Are you shooting fingers or release? What kind of rest are you using?A finger shooter generally needs a stiffer arrow. The vanes contacting the riser would be a sign of a light arrow spine if you shoot fingers.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Spike

I shoot a release. I attempted to papertune as per Easton's tuning guide which told me to move the rest toward the arrow--Wouldn't that change the centershot just by moving the rest position?

Old 08-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Site Buck Guru

It could be hand torque. Improper grip is the biggest reason for bad paper tuning results. For right handed shooters start with your arrow barely left of center of your stabilizer. Then start paper tuning with a relaxed hand, no torque grip. Keep the grip consistant. Also, I would center the shaft with the arrow rest mounting holes in the riser.