Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning problems

Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Tuning problems

I’ve got a parker phoenix 32 50/60lbs it is currently maxed out at 62 lbs. Rest is a ripcord drop away. Shooting 45/60 supper carbon arrows.

I’ve never had a problem paper tuning this bow in three years till now and could use a little help. Keep in mind that the only thing that has changed on this set up is a new factory string.
I’m getting one of two rips in the paper. If I move the rest so that the fletching is not hitting the rest upon releasing the arrow, I get a straight 2” vertical rip, no matter were I move the notch point on the string. If I leave the rest down were the fletching will hit it I will get a ½” left rip no matter how far left or right I move the rest.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tuning problems

Take this with a grain of salt as I might not know what the heck I am talking about. The high tear should go away when you move your nock point down. If it doesn't, I think you are having some fletching contact. Check to see if your rest arm is dropping when it should. When does the arm raise during the draw? It should just start to raise an inch or two before you hit your back wall. If it is raising too soon, that may be your problem. You'll have to adjust your cord.

The left tear is the same thing my brother has a problem with. He is torquing the bow to cause the problem. It may also be an arrow spine problem. The new string is probably shorter. I think this increases your poundage which affects arrow spine.

Again, I might be talking out of my butt on this. Hopefully someone else can give you better help.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing ou have changed is the string? What about the cable? Who did the work? Is the nocking point (loop) in the same place as it was or don't you know?

What length are your arrows? The 4560 designation means that's the weight range (45# to 60#) that they are designed for--at a given length. You're shooting 62#. If the arrows are underspined then you can't make any adjustments that will help except maybe take a turn or two off the limbs.That would account for a vertical tear that can't be adjusted out by moving the nocking point. Maybe it's not the problem, but it's a place to start.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try moving your rip cord rest as far forward on your bow as you can. Many times they are set up way too far back. Sometimes they are not dropping out of the way in time, or are acctually bouncing back up and making contact with one of your vanes. I high tear can often mean weak spine as well. Those super carbon arrows I believe are or were made by Carbon Express. CX arrows tend to be a little stiffer than advertised (tend to be... not always be). At any rate, if your bow is pulling 62# and its only supposed to be maxed at 60... something is too tight or too loose. I'd take a hard look at the cable... it may be twisted too tight and need to have a few twists taken out of it.

You definately do NOT want your fletchings to contact your rest, no matter what kind of tear you may be getting. Make sure that your rest is center shot as well. Most shops have squares, levels or even lasers that give you a good starting off point.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:11 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I got to playing around with different arrows and found something interesting. The supper carbons that I’ve been shooting for the last two years will not tune, but I fletched a brand new one out of the box and it tuned perfectly. Do carbon arrows lose some of there spine over time??
Old 08-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluegill80

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I got to playing around with different arrows and found something interesting. The supper carbons that I’ve been shooting for the last two years will not tune, but I fletched a brand new one out of the box and it tuned perfectly. Do carbon arrows lose some of there spine over time??
I don't know first hand, but I've heard they can. Of course it takes many many thousands of shots. While I was writing this I thought of something that is most highly overlooked. NOCKS. Try replacing the nocks and see what happens.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:24 PM

I just tried replacing the nocks last night and it didn’t make a difference on the tuning.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess you have your answer then.

Just FYI, Super carbons were marketed by Parker. They discontinued doing so last year, I think, so if you need new arrows in the future you'll have to look elsewhere unless you find some stashed somewhere.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 PM

They discontinued supper carbon last year. I was able to by the last 6 dozen off of ebay.