Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 tuning problems help!! >

tuning problems help!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tuning problems help!!

Old 09-14-2006, 12:04 PM

Default tuning problems help!!

I have no idea what has happened to my bow. Ever since I changed my peep sight, my grouping has went to crap. I put on one of those aluminum 45 degree ones, which I love it (it's a tubeless).

My whole sight set had to be moved left, it's like half an inch from the center of the shaft. i also see my arrow fly funny every once in a while, with a kick in it or something. i use a nap drop away rest, but it used to be fine (before changing my peep), and i didn't touch my nockin point (d loop) or my sight rest.

Maybe my arrow is a little underspined too? 27.5" @ 66 lbs now.

any helps would be greatly appreciated! thanks!!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:54 PM

Default RE: tuning problems help!!

Well in reality you likely increased arrow speed by getting rid of that tubing but the difference SHOULDN'T be enough to cause spine problems....but that doesn't mean it didn't. I have learned that tiny tweaks reap big rewards, or major hassles in archery. My first thought is that your peep is positioned a little different that the previous one. It has been my experience that you have to set this type of peep about a 1/2" higher in the string the the vertical tube type and the horizontal peeps a little lower. You may be a little out of your usual form "finding" your peep and this can make you torque the bow or at least mess up the follow thru. Make sure you are in you normal comfortable form. One other thought is that your peep size may be significantly different. For whatever reason I would guess that you aren't looking through the same plane as before.
Hope this helps... If not I am sure someone else has seen this issue too.

Dave
Old 09-14-2006, 11:22 PM

I wouldn't think this would cause your arrow to fly differently. You just changed the peep. Maybe you didn't notice that your arrow flew funny before this change. A bad release or not following thru may be the true culprit in this case, IMO.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:07 AM

Changing the peep could cause a very slight arrow flight because of the weight difference in the two peeps. It shouldn't even be noticable. Are you holding your riser or cradling it in your palm. You may be "tourqing" the bow causing the group to spread. I have seen people do this, trying to get used to a different and new peep. A new peep changes your optics. You aren't used to the veiw you now have. Try paper tuning the bow and see if the arrows are flying right. Stand at 10 feet and shoot 5 arrows through paper and see if the pattern is all the same. If they are, correct the problem, if not you are holding the riser too hard, loosen up. Hope this helped
Old 09-15-2006, 07:10 AM

well thanks for hte input guys, but let me elaborate further.

I already had a tubeless peep, I just got a different one (I wanted an aluminum one that would fully open when I was drawn back). I located it where my last one was, and my yardage pins height were right, but my arrows started flying erratically left.

I hold a loose hand on the riser, like I'm about to shake someones hand with my left hand, sorta. I just let it sit loose, I have pretty good form about it.

I also have a level on my sight which I refer to before every shot. I line the bubble up first, then line up my pins, then shoot. The weeks (and days even) before I changed my peep tube I was shooting golf ball sized groups at twenty yards, but now everything is changed (more reason why you don't fix something if it ain't broke I guess.)

I don't see how it's possible everything went off so far. I'm going to paper tune today and see what it could maybe be, I downloaded the easton tuning guide, which seems really helpful.

I think I'm also going to try to some different arrows, maybe beman ICS, and see how things do.

Is anyone elses sight rack off so far left or right? I thought it should line up with the center point of the arrow, or be fairly close, not over a half inch off.

argh why did I go messing with things again.