Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning problems

Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tuning problems

So the past week I have been wokring on getting my broadheads to fly where my fieldpoints fly. I am shooting 27.5" Maxima Hunters 250 with the montec 100 grain broadhead. I am pulling 71lbs on my hoyt vulcan I have adjusted the wisker biscuit in small (1/32") increments and have been able to get the BH's to fly at the same height of the filedtips but they are still going to the right about 3" inches at 20 yards. I then proceeded move the biscuit away from the bow in small increments but am almost out of room on the rest, I have maybe 1/8" to move left but it doesn't seem to move the arrows any further at this point. I then tried moving the rest in the opposite direction towards the bow and it got considerably worse so I moved it back to where I was getting 3" to the right groups with the BH. The BH's are "clanking shafts" if I shoot good just right. Does anyone have suggestions?

My thoughts are below:

1) my spine is not correct for the poundage ( I used OT2) accordingto my setup these arrows were perfect at this length. However the CX arrow guide for hunting has me using a 350 arrow or a 250 arrow if I use the bow weight adjustment sheet on their website.

2) move my sights a little to the right and see if that helps my broadheads group better with fieldpoints.

I want to get the groups tighter because I know once I go out to further distances I will be even more off please help if you can.

Thank You,
Chris
Old 03-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tuning problems

Looking at the charts, you may be a little underspined - Kinda on the border...

You could try turning your bows poundage way down - like the lower 60's and see what happens (just as a test).... Cheaper than going out and buying 350's or whatever right out of the gate...
Old 03-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah the only problem is that my bowhas 70-80 lbs limbs so I am about as light as it gets. I bought these arrows because I knew I would not be adding any weight for atleast a year and the 250's seemedthe match on OT2.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you actually check the speed of the bow or go with what OT2 said.

You should always claibrate the programs when using them for spine adjustments.

The wb hasn't been the easiest rest to tune for me,others swear by them.(I do not have a vast experience with them though)

These are the 2 places I would start.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

I checked the speed of the bow about 3 months prior to using OT2 and was shooting about 275FPS and OT2 said the bow was about 271FPS and so I left it at that I don't have OT2 anymore but I would guess hat 4 FPS would not make that big of difference but I could be wrong.

As far as the wisker this is my first one and I am trying to make it work due to lack of funds but I think I would do much better with a limb driver.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

As long as that speed was with the right arrow weight,the 4 fps wouldn't make enough of a difference to cause your problem.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Walk back tune with the BH and see what that tells you, adjust accordingly. If they hit the same after that, they will, if not they won't. I'd only use one arrow for the testing.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

Ok so if I do this walk back tuning with a BH should I do it with or without fletchings?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: AZHuntr

Ok so if I do this walk back tuning with a BH should I do it with or without fletchings?
Never shoot BH's without fletching. I mean never. However I am sure most of us have tried it with wild results.

If your seriously hitting with BH's 3" to the right, then you have to change your spine.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Thats what I was afraid of that my spine is not right. I cannot seem to get this spine thing right OT2 tells me Maxima 250's are perfect and then the Carbon express chart says I am in the middle between the 250's and 350's This is frustrating does anyone have sugesstions on choosing a good spine size without dropping tons of money?

Quick Reply: Tuning problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.