Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

natural blinds

Old 08-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default natural blinds

hey, do you have any suggestions\articles on the best way to build or set up a natural blind so i dont have to buy a blind?

thanks
vaclav
Old 08-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: natural blinds

Just use your imagination and alot of dead fall from your area. The only blind I use is one I make. I can't stand being inside a tent. Just think ambush when you make your blind.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

WE use cedar branches and existing cedar trees that over hang a field edge. Just remember that when you make it other creatures will inhabit it also. I sat in mine one moring during turkey season and I swear I kept hearing birds behind me in the thicket. I sat and waiting for hours only to figure out that it was field mice! I have heard of guys in Florida telling horror stories about snakes.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:06 PM

I sat in mine one moring during turkey season and I swear I kept hearing birds behind me in the thicket. I sat and waiting for hours only to figure out that it was field mice! I have heard of guys in Florida telling horror stories about snakes.
Try having a skunk walk behind you, LOL, it was my first season ever hunting we set up a llil natrual blind along a hedgerow. My dad and i heard something behind us, we look at each other and were like OMG its a skunk. But luckily we did not get sprayed
Old 08-22-2006, 09:42 PM

I just stand behind a big oak tree. Sometimes I'll move to behind a bush a little ways away. They both work great and after 2 seasons of hunting there, I have only been spotted once out of hundreds of deer. Just remember, you don't need to go crazy. Just something that'll you can hide behind will work fine.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

Use limbs, sticks, leaves, etc from around the area. Try to make it look as natural as possible but don't use too much because you'll want to be able to shoot out of it!

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but xt3's story kind of reminded me of one. My very first year deer hunting, my dad and I had constructed a ground blind. Before daylight we walked to it and as soon as I took my first step in a covey of quail got up. It scared the living S!!t out of me! haha. Later that morning though a beautiful little 2.5 yr. 8 pt came cruising by at a mere 10 yards....but I never shot b/c I was being safe and would have had to shoot next to or over my dad. He got away safely!

Moral of the story, ground blinds can work great....for all types of game!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:45 PM

Before daylight we walked to it and as soon as I took my first step in a covey of quail got up. It scared the living S!!t out of me!
Ive have pheasant do the same to me, and they make alot of noise when the bust, it scared the shyte out of me as well.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:02 AM

Oh, I'm sorry.... I thought this was a thread about natural BLONDES!

I was so confused![8D]