Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Natural ground blinds >

Natural ground blinds

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Natural ground blinds

Old 08-29-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Natural ground blinds

I have a spot with awesome deer sign and pics, but there is no good spot for a treestand. Most of the trees are really open, and the good ones are too far away. I am thinking about making a ground blind. There is a spot 15 yards from the trail where the deer funnel down onto a logging road that they follow out to a field. There are about 5 trees in a 5 footcircle. I was thinking of putting some brush, branches, etc. around these trees for a blind. I am almost thinking it might spook the deer now since season is only 2 weeks away. Anyone have experience on hunting from the ground? Any tips or ideas? please post pics of your ground blind set ups too.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Natural ground blinds

It's more important to have good cover behind you than in front of you. I know that goes against what feels natural but it's true. If you've got good background cover you can leave the area in front open and you can swing your bow to whichever direction it needs to be. If you can'tbring yourself to be completely open just use a turkey hunting screen that stakes into the ground 2' high. Use a dove hunting seat or some other portable seat. Don't build a log cabin. The less intrusive the blind is the more likely you are to be successful. I've just clipped limbs off of trees and lightly brushed in behind myself and have had deer at 10'. Find a big tree or blowdown. Just remember, if it works for turkey, who have better eyes than deer, it will work for deer. Watch the wind.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's a picture of one that I have worked on , just something simple but big enough for me to slip my Double Bull T5 into.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

I have used natural ground blinds a lot and they can be very productive in the right spots. Back cover is probably more critical that what you have in front. I wish I had some picks I just never thought to take any.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

In this picture you'll see the inside where I cleared the ground and I had placed some limbs overhead to help break the outline of the roof of my blind.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:06 AM

Just buy a double bull set it up and leave it for the two weeks.... They won;t be bothered by it and work great!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's another one that I found while scouting , altough I didn't build this up , it looks like it might be good enough for turkey hunting.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

and here's another one I've fouind but I don't think I'd use it because it sets to low , not enough cover.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:26 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

It sounds good, use it! Use those 5 trees to your advantage, that's something to shield you from the deer when they show up. I have a bunch brushed similarto what rdhunter posted and to that I add /hang two pieces of camo net (4ftx4ft) that I carry in with me.Ilike at least 3 shooting lanesif possible. Good Luck.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:24 PM

I made this one a few years back. Its great fun hunting in natural ground blinds.

Quick Reply: Natural ground blinds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.