Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

natural ground blinds?

Old 11-24-2003, 06:02 PM

Default natural ground blinds?

im goin huntin this weekend and itll be the first time i havent been in a stand. ive been planning on setting up some kind of natural ground blind. any tips or advice?
raim
Old 11-24-2003, 06:09 PM

Default RE: natural ground blinds?

Look for a deadfall that has a nice fork in it. Position yourself so that you' re able to sit with your back in the fork. It will serve as a nice back rest and you can build up the sides with small branches, leaves, and other natural cover. Depending on how high off the ground the fork is, you may need to sit on something like a rock or a log, so bring your padded seat with you.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

i like to sit in fallen trees.....or hide in some tall ferns.... i basically just want something to break up my siloette so i try to have a background....trees a lil wider than you can help protect ya too if there is some yahoo shooting at sound or movement....good luck, have fun
Old 11-24-2003, 06:27 PM

Best position for it is to have the sun at your back, wind in your face, sitting in the shadows.
Or as close to the above as you can....and sit very, very still.

I prefer this style myself.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:46 PM

if you have pine tree' s you can cut off a few branches, they will help cover more area, and also act as cover scent, also make sure you clear any leafs or sticks from the area you' ll be sitting, kicking up the dirt will also act as cover scent just incase 1 sneaks up the wrong way
Old 11-25-2003, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being up hill of the area you exspect deer is a good practice. Above the trails = near the same as a tree stand...BT
Old 11-25-2003, 06:40 AM

get up against a big tree wear head net
Old 11-25-2003, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Natural ground blinds rock !!
Usually everything you need to make one is right there . A nat ground blind can be anything from hiding behind a tree to constructing a fort your kids would be proud of . Depending on the terrain you can:
1) Make a teepee of leafy sticks
2) Attach leafy sticks to your clothes for a " walking blind"
3) Duck behind fallen logs
4) Hide behind big rocks
5) Bundle some long grasses to hide at a field edge

The list is limited only by your imagination and ingenuity , and the materials at hand .
Good luck !
Old 11-25-2003, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I' m a big fan of natural blinds. I like making them ot of hedgerows. I prefer them to be 10 yards wide or so. I trim on path to the middle of the hedge then tie a bunch of branches together with zip ties and make my door with that to cover up the trail i cut going in. Once you' re in, cut away a little circle around you so you can park your behind(i bring a little folding chair). Make sure you have backdrop to break up your pattern. Then I' ll trim some peep holes and shooting lanes (don' t overdo it though.) Use good scent control and YES stay motionless as possible. You' ll be amazed at how close you can get them from the ground. Once you' ve made your blind, it' s there for good. I actually have 5 different natural blinds around the area I hunt. I hunt different ones depending on the wind and sun. I think they are excellent ambush spots if done right.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:17 PM

thanks, those are all good suggestions. im going to be hunting in south-west georgia, so ill be dealing with pine trees and cotton fields. im hoping there will be some nice palm fronds or something of the sort that i can stick in the ground around me (hopefully against a fallen or wide-based tree) that will break up my outline. does this sound decent? im not necessarily looking to make a fort or anything complicated. just something that will do the job and hide me.
raim

Quick Reply: natural ground blinds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.