Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3d shoots

Old 08-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default 3d shoots

ive heard on here and from other guys that 3d shoots are good practice for hunting and you learn range judgement pretty good. i think it would be fun to goto one of my local club shoots. just dont know what to expect. how much do they usually cost?? is it like a "turkey shoot" and a contest or just something fun?? i just dont know what to expect.....though i bet they vary club to club, place to place, can anyone give me like an overview before id find one to goto?? i dont wanna show up and find out it cost 100$ and im shooting for money and im shooting with pros or something lol. i just wanna get some practice and have some fun!!

also....what happens when i miss the target all together when i think that 50lb live weight 3d is 40yds when its just a SMALL one at 15 yds lol...do i loose or break my arrow when i miss?? theres gota be a foam wall or something right?!? lol
Old 08-09-2006, 10:39 AM

Default RE: 3d shoots

Here in Michigan they cost about $8.00. You basically get a score card and head to the course. Ask how they score the course at the registration desk. Then usually there are about 30 targets and you walk around shooting at them. At least around here its all for fun and practice. Then after your done you buy a beer and a hot dog from the club.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:52 AM

I forgot to mention that most clubs are not looking to get sued, so they setup the courses so that when you miss you won't take anyone out.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

I hear they are opening at least one maybe 2 at the new World Shooting Complex in Sparta IL. I take it they are like sporting clays for your bow... or the golf of bowhunting...
Old 08-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Our course is 20 targets. It's a $12 entry fee.....and we shoot it in abou an hour (including retrieving arrows). High score wins....and we shoot in "classes". Unlimited class (scope sights, unlimited stabilizer lengths, etc...) / Hunter Class / juniors / etc...

We do it to instill the importance of every shot.

(and we're a competitive family!)

Jeff
Old 08-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx alot guys. i had a totally diffrent 3d in mind. i was thinking of the ones i see on TV once in a while. indoor with pop up targets. outdoor walking through the woods would be a BLAST. Sundays paper should list some. i will see if i can find one near by. that sounds like a ball. i have seen them do that on tv come to think of it. that would be GOOD practice i bet. nothing can compare to the real deal, but that would be the closest you can get!

me and my buddy already plan to put up a ladder stand and one of us move around his 3d in the woods while the other is on stand. get us better at judging treestand distance and making shots from a stand.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Maine they are like kodiak41226
said above. Around $8.00. Usually held at different Fish and Game preserves. After you shoot your 30 targets and hand in your score you can hang out or head out. Here in Maine you put your name and Address on the card and if your one of the top 10 shooters in your devision (age, bow setup) you get a trophy, just a little something to work towards.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

What part of southwestern PA you from? I shot 3D pretty much every weekend and am presently building a practice 3D range with some buddies here in Ohio but I do try to come down to washington and Green county to some shots every yr. 3D is just what it says you walk through the woods and at stacks/stations you shot a 3D target. Most are great practice and I highly recomend them. But don't let them mess you up. Some courses I have went to this yr are really stretching the shots. Beaver Creek sportsman club outside Salam Ohio had a avg bowhunter class shot of about 35-40yrds. If you come across a course like this just move up to a closer stake or pick your own shots. Myself and my budies never turn in a score card or anything we just shot for the practice and the fun of it. Let me know the areas your shooting and maybe I can tell you a good "hunters" course or meet up and shot together. Most cost between 8-10 dollars.

Trytan
Old 08-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

im actually in eastern beaver county trytan. i know of alot of local archery clubs im sure ill find something. i shot my buddies 3d at 35yds and was pretty deadly. one shot got taken by a gust of wind and was a gut hit. other then that i was deadly. still wouldnt want a course where they are ALL that far. thanx alot
Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

I use to be into shooting the 3d tournaments all the time. Now I do it ocassionally. Its a fun way to go head to head with your buddys. It got to be a down rightarrow fest with me and my buddys. It was all in good fun the competition. It is usually around 7 dollars to shoot here. But for the bigger shoots like 40 targets it would run around 10 dollars. You usually win a trophy or ribbon if you place in the top 3. The bad side to these shoots are the PENCIL PUSHERS. The like to cheat and take a score they didnt shoot. I would have loved some of them to shoot with my group. I have to say I was into it so much I even went to the IBO world. What an awesome experience. All I shoot is my hunting bow in the Fingers class. Give it a try its a fun time...