Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3d shoots

Old 02-17-2008, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default 3d shoots

My dad,brother and I shoot some 3d shoots throughout the spring and summer(just for fun and practice). Was wondering if anyone uses rangefinders for these shoots? We shot one yesterday and talked about it. We think it would take our fun out of it. We also think it is good practice judging yardage because you cant always range an animal. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 AM

Default RE: 3d shoots

Around here it illegal and at some places you cant even use binoculars to see the rings
Old 02-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: luke/r

My dad,brother and I shoot some 3d shoots throughout the spring and summer(just for fun and practice). Was wondering if anyone uses rangefinders for these shoots? We shot one yesterday and talked about it. We think it would take our fun out of it. We also think it is good practice judging yardage because you cant always range an animal. Just my thoughts.
What fun is it to bring them hunting with you?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes I'll take mine if it's not a money shoot. I'll shoot the target and then I'll range it to see how close I was... another way of practicing my yardage estimating.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use mine all the time for none money leagues. Guess the yardage, shoot the arrow and then see how well I'm doing judging distances w/ the RF. If you use it after shooting how is that taking the fun out of it. Furthermore, you still have to make the shot at ranges that are not exactly 20,30,40 etc.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

I meant using it before shooting the target. Using it after you shoot is a good idea to see how close your guess was.I will have to try it.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

All the shoots i've been to you can't use a rangefinder
Old 02-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only time I've ever usedit before is when the guys I'm shooting with have decided before the round. We each guess then say what we thought. Range it and then shoot.I can only remember 2 times we did that out of about 20 shoots.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Range it AFTER you shoot. You'll improve your estimating skills much FASTER this way, compared to ranging every target before shooting.

It's the "Feedback Loop" theory fromhuman factors engineering and psychology.

There have been lots of scientific studies that prove this to be true. Ranging it before hand doesn't teach you how to estimate yardage- it just teaches you to become dependent on the rangefinder.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Host of Hosts

I'll sometimes range After the shot.... Not allowed to use rangefinders in leagues around here.

Quick Reply: 3d shoots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.