Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My shortest hunt was... >

My shortest hunt was...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My shortest hunt was...

Old 08-08-2006, 06:23 PM

Default My shortest hunt was...

Mine was when I was 15. I am 28 now, so it was a while back. As I recall, it lasted about 15 minutes. It was an antlerless Elk hunt here in Michigan. My guide drove me into the hills, we piled out and he walked me over to a ravine and said shoot that one. She weighed in at around 450lbs. Opening morning 15 minutes after we left the lodge it was over.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:38 PM
New Sheriff

Default RE: My shortest hunt was...

Mine was several years ago. It was freezing cold and sleeting but I had one doe tag to fill before season ended in Feburary. I left my truck thinking how stupid I must be but on the short walk to my stand I saw two does running thru the woods towards me, something must of spooked them. As luck had it, as soon as they got 20 yds they stopped, broadside, and looked away. I still had my stand on my back. I put an arrow thru the lead doe. As luck would have it, she ran towards the truck. When she saw the truck she stopped just long enough to fall over stone-cold dead.

I was away from the truck for a total of about 3 minutes and had less than a 40 yard drag back to the truck.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:42 PM

2 years ago, spring youth turkey hunt. Season closes for the day here at 1:00. We arrived at the farm at 12:30 and decided to make a quick run down the ridge. We left the truck at 12:40, Austen pulled the trigger at 12:46. Called in a good one. Over, just like that.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

I killed an 8 point buck when I was a junior in HS. Feild dressed it, cleaned up, and made it to school on time. Opening day too. Everybody asked me why I was'nt hunting.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

about 3 minutes walked out to a stand in my yard a doe was already under it stood 12 yards away she looked up at me so i pulled back and shot
her quartering toward me . double lung . ran 25 yards stopped and dropped
Old 08-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine was three years ago. My grandpa hung a stand for me before I got to our farm in WV. He told me where it was the next morning in his type of directions. Ya know...past the oak and there is a big rock next to a maple...well I had trouble finding it in te dark, and din't find the ribbon mark until morning was breaking. Well I walked up to the ribbon, climbed the bank and right under the stand was a six point. I drew back and shot it, never even making it to my stand.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Believe it or not.....my best bow buck was also my quickest hunt.

It started the day earlier when I was trying to sneak up on some gobblers. Just as I was starting to get close, I spotted a buck heading my way. I hate deer hunting from the ground but didn't have much choice given the circumstances.

I came to full draw and the buck stopped just short of my only shooting lane. I held as long as I could and let the bow down undetected. As he started moving again, I came to full draw and the arrow fell off the rest.

I'm standing there with a 140 class buck broadside at 15 yards and my arrow was at my feet The buck stared in my direction for a while and then moved on.

The following day was a work day and I had to wait until 3:30 before I could make the 20 minute drive the the farm.......changing on the way.

It was mid-November and I only had about 30 minutes of shooting light left. It was my intention to sneak in to the same spot and stand next to a large Cottonwood tree near where I had my encounter the day before.

I made the 10 minute walk to the Cottonwood and looked for a good spot to stand. The tree was in the middle of a great funnel.....and I figured..."what the hey".

Once I picked the spot, I started clearing the leaves under foot so I could move quietly. I was making my second or third swipe with my foot when I heard a noise. The big buck was heading my way from the opposite directioin he had come from the day before.

He basically followed me into the funnel. I quickly nocked an arrow, came to full draw and released when he entered a shooting lane.

From the time I started clearing the leaves until the time I shot the buck was approx. 15 seconds He ran into some very thick cover so I waited until morning to recover him.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Lucky dawg! ^ Lol...nice buck man.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:07 PM

The gobbler story reminded me of another hunt. My dad and I were turkey hunting together. We were walking down this old logging road when I let out a few yelps from my slate. Triple gobble! These gobblers were fired up. There were 3 of them and they were on the way. We had no choice but to setup where we stood. I killed mine but dad missed his.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last year. I got home with only 30 minutes of hunting time left. Figured whatthe heck, I'll go stand out back til dark. I walked out and in less than 10 minutes had 2 deer come by and I shot the 2nd one. She dropped in sight. That was a quickie.

Quick Reply: My shortest hunt was...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.