Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cuddeback vs. Moultrie (I own Both) >

Cuddeback vs. Moultrie (I own Both)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cuddeback vs. Moultrie (I own Both)

Old 08-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Cuddeback vs. Moultrie (I own Both)

I know some of you guys are diehard Cudde guys.......but I've had these experiences:

1) Moultrie 200 - I paid $179 (they're now on sale @ BPS for $139).....and I've had it in the woods for nearly a month. Still on the same 6V battery......and it's taken over 500 pics. No problems....and the deer are being photographed at 20 ft or more, sometimes.

2) Cuddeback Excite (2006) - I got it right after the Moultrie......it's taken NINE pictures. I went to check the card on Sunday (been in the woods or a week).....COMPLETELY DEAD BATTERIES. It read battery power "3" when I left it a week ago. I paid $299 for this camera......and right now I wish I'd gotten 2 more Moultrie's instead.

I know if I pay a good amount of money for something.....human nature is to talk it up.....I just can't. I'm going to give it one more chance (new set of batteries)......then I'm looking into sending it back. This is pitiful.

Jeff

Thanks for letting me VENT!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cuddeback vs. Moultrie (I own Both)

I also have both cameras but, I don't think there is any comparison between the two. I'm not sure how your getting your batteries to last on your Moultrie because mine only last 2 weeks tops. My cuddeback last a month and half to two months. Now I have the 05 model and a 03 model in the cuddebacks so It doesn't compare to yours. I would say that there is something wrong with your cuddeback I would contact them about it because that doesn't sound right at all. Picture wise I think the cuddeback takes much better pictures even though the Moultrie isn't bad. My wife got me my Moultrie for christmas and paid about 150 bucks for it and the cuddebacks I paid around 280-300 for them. So from my experience there is not comparison as cuddeback is a much better camera.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

I just had one on a friends lease and he has had 95 pics in 4 days. and the battery is fine. Not sure what circumstances fries a battery faster then others but the Battery life with the other people I talked with with the excite and expert are getting long life on them. Not saying that it is the only camera you should buy but for the trip time and quality of pics it is well worth the money. I think that the trigger reaction time is the biggest thing...JMHO.....good luck
Old 08-07-2006, 02:01 PM

I only own a moultrie, but I will say I've got 1-1 1/2mos from a 6v battery in summer. In winter it is not as good.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:46 PM

Yup, moultrie 200 can actually go over a month on the solar system. Each person has different likes and dislikes but for me this camera is IT. I am going to save for a couple more. Ialso have a Wildview that runs on 9 volts and that will take you to the poor house in a hurry. Another vote for Moultrie!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive heard the new cuddebacks are having many problems,

but as far as the 2005 and earlier models, I own two of them and they both are great. Ive used other cams and they are no comparison to the speed of the cudde's. And i got over 1300 images on my one camera in the last two months before i had to change the batteries.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just checked my Moultrie over the weekend. After 3 weeks the battery meter was at 84%! Takes nice clean pics too.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

yeah the battery life in my moutlrie 200 is awesome its one of the stronger point, the only disadvangtage to the moultrie is saucer eyes which doesnt really matter
Old 08-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess at this point I will honestly say our cameras seems quite different and for one--that's troubling.
Iown both the Game Spy Moultrie 200 and the Cuddeback C.3000---and also a few other brands,---which I would not comment on now.
BUT---I can without a doubt speak for my cameras and say between the two mentioned here, the Moultrie 6V is a better unit for battery life. I have taken over 200 pictures in a week and a half and my Moultrie battery reads 99%. I can take up to 500 pictures and the battery still remains charged. (Star rechargable 6V). The averagepictures taken by the Moultrie doesn't look as good as the pictures taken by the Cuddeback C.3000--but for the PRICE the Moultrie 200 is a good deal.
The cuddeback on the other hand takes good picturtes---however I seem to have a problem with the camera triggering pictures and on more than one occasionmy Cuddeback never triggered a picture while having an image standing directly in front of the camera(within range) and YES the height of the camera, from the ground, IS good!!!
MY CuddebackBattery life varies---sometimes I can get 3-4 weeks on a set of batteries--then other times, the battery life drops to level 3 in only two weeks--taking only 18-19 pictures. (in the summer).
As for the power of the flash--on both cameras, it lives up to my expectations.
Being honest I am a bit disappointed in the performance of my C.3000.
Other guysare obviously having much BETTER results with theirsand this obviously clearly shows that they are inconsistencies with these units.

As for the newer CuddebackNOFLASH---for me--this unit is a total disappointment--along with the NEWER--no-leak Bushnell 11-9930.
The Bushnell is horrible--the night picturesusing the flash, is just terrible. I can go on--but I'll end here for now and see what others have to say about their units.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have a moultrie 100 and just bought the 3.1 mega pixal the 3.1 has been in the woods for a month with a solar system still have 99% battery the moultrie 100 will only last about 2 weeks for me even on a solar system. That really doesn't bother me just bought another battery for that one so I can swap them out but for theprice I don't think you can beat them