Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Learning Proper Shooting Form >

Learning Proper Shooting Form

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Learning Proper Shooting Form

Old 07-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Learning Proper Shooting Form

I figured I would share this with you guys. I've always been pretty accurate with my bow and would typically out shoot my friends (not that difficult). Recently I went to the local pro shop (MJC Archery, MI)and found the place empty. I got to talking with the owner and he essentially checked out my form and corrected a bunch of things (anchor point, hand hold, posture, head alignment etc...) He adjust my peep to the new anchor point and I ended up getting a new stabalizer because the one I had wasn't heavy enough.

I went home and adjusted my sights and got to shooting. My first couple of groups were about the size of a 50 cent piece at 20 yards. Then they shrank to about the size of nickle. I had the thought that I should start shooting at different targets but I'm stubborn. I said I would shoot one more group and then start shooting different tagets (mean while I've already torn at least one fletching on each arrow) The next group I shot was a robin hood with the third arrow tearing the fletching off the first arrow that I shot.

I was happy that my accuracy had gotten so much better but pissed that I just destroyed $30 worth of arrows.

Moral of the story is: Go to the bow shop when it's empty!!!

Tom
Old 07-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Learning Proper Shooting Form

Good story Tom and goes to show what proper form can do to tighten groups and increase accuracy. It's often amazing to me when watching local 3D shoots how forms differ and many times incorrectly but consistancy is the most important thing in the begining and then learning proper form to strengthen your shooting ability. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Learning Proper Shooting Form

Now you know. Shoot at different spots. Looks like you have found a good shop with good personnel.