Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Proper Form?

Old 03-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Proper Form?

I guess this is in the proper forum since I don't shoot competitively. All I want to do is be a better Bowhunter. Please let me hear the comments on form, draw length etc. I have no one else to ask.

Thanks, LT

Old 03-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Proper Form?

Hey folks, he's on a roll with the pics!!

The only thing that jumps out at me is that instead of dropping your bow arm to shoot lower, you'd be better off to keep the "T" in your form by keeping your bow arm up and instead bend at the waist... That's one of the big things that'll improve shooting from a treestand as well.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your hitting where your aiming what does it matter? If you want to get technical though don't lock you left elbow, just a slight bend will improve you shooting.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey greg thanks for the advice. I am working on that because at first I thought just because of the small angle to my Morrel block I would be Ok to just lower the Bow arm. I see exactly what you mean. Thanks for the input, and constructive criticism doesn't bother me at all, so let me have the lowdown guys. HA HA

Thanks, LT
Old 03-16-2006, 02:10 AM

I have seen a lot worse, that is for sure. If anything you may be a bit long on draw length, and try not to tilt your head into the string. It's best to have your head straight up and down with your body. If you can't line up with your peep that way then move it. And while it's nice to touch your nose to the string some short ATA bows and longer draw lengths just won't do it without craning your head forward. You can probably shoot well that way, but you will get tired faster and will end up straining your neck, back and eyes.

Never sacrifice your form to fit the bow, that is why they are adjustable.

Paul
Old 03-16-2006, 04:40 AM

if you rotate your bow hand out a bit, so your knuckles are coming off it at a 45 degree angle it will help the bow 'float' there without you controlling it. nothing on the left side of your lifeline should be touching the grip. this will feel very weird at first, but add it to greg's advise to get in your 't' and aim with your hips/shoulders, and completely relax that bow hand, and your pin will really settle down.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

What gibblet said. Also, don't crane your neck into the peep. You should be able to stand perfectly strait looking ahead, then look over your left shoulder with your spine still perfectly in alignment, and then have the peep come to you. Close your eyes while coming to full draw and also focusing on keeping your spine and neck strait up and down, the string and peep should be right there when you open your eyes.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:53 AM

I can't upload pics since I use my work computer to access this site, even that's a no no. I will soon have internet access out at the styx where I live, but until the could you guys come over to my house and give me some tips on form?Just kidding, I try to apply all the tips that come to those asking for them to myself and always find them very helpful. Keep up the good work guys and I can't wait to get hooked up to the internet at my house so I can put some pics of my ugly mug up there!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:29 AM

Hey LT, I thinck that you have the right idea and all I can suggest is make sure you always use your ainker point, knuckle behind the earlobe and make the shape of a "T" with your body so that the shoulders are even. One more thing try shooting with your feet closer together. "GOOD SHOOTING"
Old 03-16-2006, 10:00 AM

I agree with Paul:
1. It looks like your draw length may be a little long, hence your elbow being locked and the string still a bit behind the tip of your nose. Do you ever whack your bow arm with the string?
2. Your peep looks like it might be a bit low causing you to tilt your head down to look through it.

Quick Reply: Proper Form?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.