Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Quick viper summit question >

Quick viper summit question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Quick viper summit question

Old 05-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default Quick viper summit question

I was wondering if the viper x5 is bulky as to carry on your back? I hunt mostly public land and do alot of walking and dont want anything to bulky or uncomfortable to carry. I was wondering which do you think would be better for my situation the viper x5 or the summit bullet backpacker?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:35 AM

Default RE: Quick viper summit question

It's a pretty subjective thing. I started out packing a Warren and Sweat stand that was like wearing a biplane on your arse in and out of the woods. By comparison, the Viper is a fanny pack.

However, I'd call the viper moderately bulky, but not uncomfortable for hikes under a mile. If you're planning on hiking for more than a mile wearing your stand, the viper is going to start to get uncomfortable.

I can't vouch for the bullet backpacker, but a friend of a friend of mine has one and I don't think it seemed much more comfy to pack than the viper. A little perhaps, but I still wouldn't want it on my back all day.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:02 PM

Newbhunter I own both and the bullet backpacker does lay flat compared to the viper. The viper sets up a bit faster and is in MHO quieter especially when setting it up and packing ittogether to hike out. They are both very light and comfortable and I feel easy to climb with. So if you have a lot of scrub to walk through then the backpacker would be it for me.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:15 PM

Well, yeah....a little. You've got 20 pounds of aluminum, foam and cable strapped to your back. But it's really not a problem. I pack mine all the time sometimes a mile or two in and it's never been a problem.