Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tree Stand Hunting >

Tree Stand Hunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Stand Hunting

Old 05-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tree Stand Hunting

I did a seach on this question and had no success, so.. When you hunt from a tree stand, and a deer comes into shooting range, do you take the shot sitting in the stand or do you stand up to take the shot? If you stay sitting to take the shot, do you practice shooting from a lawn chair in the off-season? I am just trying to figure out the best way to practice for the situations I may face.

If you stand up to take the shot I would assume you have to carefully pick the time to move as not to spook the deer? Before the deer is in range?

Any advise will be appreciated greatly.

Jer
Old 05-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tree Stand Hunting

people do both . I personally stand i just feel more comfortable but you might want to practice siting in case you have to shoot siting .
Old 05-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Deer can get on top of you very quickly, sometimes if you stand up that will be too much movement.
I practice shooting from a sitting position, but not very often.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I've shot them both ways, but the majority I've shot while standing. I stand a lot while on stand anyway. When ever I see a deer I immediately start looking for other eyes and a chance to get on my feet. Standing makes it much easier to shoot at all angles and to both sides and behind.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to take all my shots standing up. I'm just plain and simple more confident and more accurate when standing. What I do is I try to stand during the "prime" times to see a deer and sit during the slower times. If I am sitting and see a deer I imediately begin a plan to stand up, like Davidmil stated, you have to look for other deer and then slowly stand.

Now to your second question. If youplan to hunt from a stand, you need to practice shooting from an elevated position regardless of whether you choose to sit or stand. My bowseason begins about the second week of September. I start the first week of July shooting several arrowsa weekfrom a tree stand at 3d targets. There are 3 of usand eachhas our own 3dtargets. One gets in the permamnent built stand(made specially for practice), while the other twoset the targets at different angles and distances for each shot. It's themost realistic and beneficial practice that I have used for bowhunting.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:39 PM

I stand. You just gotta be careful, that rascals got pretty decent eyesight.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:25 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

That would have to be how your set up, either sitting or standing. Some can shoot ****ing others have to stand, you make the call at that time.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

While in my tree stand I don't do much sitting. I talk to a lot of people who sit all the time and stand only when they have to. I do just the opposit I stand most of the time and only sit for a couple min at a time. I used to sit mostly till one time on a rainey day it made the woods as quiet as could be, I was watching this little buck come in and decided I'd take him so I stood up to get ready for the shot and asnort behind me I turned to see abruser of a buck running off. He busted me big time. So that cured me of sitting to much. I also look for a tree with multi trunks. But thats a different story. Mike
Old 05-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Banned

Depends on the situation and the shot opportunity. You need to be able to shoot both ways; this will increase your success.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot them both waysbut the majority of my kills have been from a sitting position. I don't usually stand unless i have too. I practice from a sitting position as much as i dostandingso i'm verycomfortable in taking the shot sitting down.

Quick Reply: Tree Stand Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.