Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Quick viper summit question

Old 05-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default Quick viper summit question

I was wondering if the viper x5 is bulky as to carry on your back? I hunt mostly public land and do alot of walking and dont want anything to bulky or uncomfortable to carry. I was wondering which do you think would be better for my situation the viper x5 or the bullet backpacker?
Old 05-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Quick viper summit question

The Summit Viper X5 is very lightweight around 21 lbs or so. I have the Viper X4 and love it!!! I can easily hike in no matter how far, long, and/or uphill.

I've heard people complain about the "backpacker" series from Summit where they can be a little cumbersome to setup in the dark hours of the early mornings.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

I've been using a Summit Viper for about 6 years now and love it for the safety and comfort. The weight is an issue, but for the previously listed reasons I put up with it. A little padding on the shoulder straps helps out.

But, it is by no means quiet to set up. Seperating the top from the bottom and setting up the cable system is noisy as hell, and getting the right platform/seatangle the first try takes alot of trial and error.

I have on occasion set up and left my Summit overnight on public land, early in and late out is the normal during gun season.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 05-13-2006, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NewbHunter

I was wondering if the viper x5 is bulky as to carry on your back? I hunt mostly public land and do alot of walking and dont want anything to bulky or uncomfortable to carry. I was wondering which do you think would be better for my situation the viper x5 or the bullet backpacker?
I picked up a Summit Viper Goliath X5 last fall. The weight factor is a piece of cake!! Problem is taking along a back-pak strapped to the back of the stand loaded with all the goodies that you normally take along on a hunt as well. This will load you up quite nicely!! But if you pace yourself, this shouldn't bea problem either. Love theViper Goliath X5, the extra seat width makes it more comfy for us big guys.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Banned

I have a Viper and I put my backpack with gear in between the viper frame and hold with an elastic net. Vipers are easy to carry.