Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Compound or recurve? >

Compound or recurve?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Compound or recurve?

Old 05-02-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Compound or recurve?

Hey guys! I have a dilemma about what to buy, a compound bow or recurve. The compound would be a Hoyt Vtec and the recurve a Chek-mate Falcon. The thing is the Hoyt would be $900 CDN bare and the Chek-mate only $300 CDN. Since I'm going to get a block target with a bow the compound would probably total $1500[&:], the recurve $500. But I could also use a treestand, binoculars, etc. So what path would you take, modern or traditional?

Thanks for your help,

Matt
Old 05-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Compound or recurve?

If you can kill a deer with the recurve, then have it. It is what you feel good with. If you have doubts about your ability to take a deer with a recurve then you need to consider this point. Do I have the time it takes to be come a good shooter with a recurve?, If so then go for it.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tough choice I keep saying I'm going to go to a recurve or a long bow next but haven't built the stones yet to do it. Good luck with your choice. Mike
Old 05-02-2006, 04:06 PM

I like my compunds, but I think it would be a real achievement being confident with a recurve. I would like to get one in the next couple of years. I noticed you live in the same town as me. Weird.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

recurve
Old 05-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

I remember standing at that crossroad seven years ago. I chose the longbow and never looked back. Follow your heart...
Old 05-03-2006, 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: ONbuckhunter

I like my compunds, but I think it would be a real achievement being confident with a recurve. I would like to get one in the next couple of years. I noticed you live in the same town as me. Weird.
That is weird I thought you were the only person in that town.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:08 AM

There is nothing wrong with a c-pound bow, but for me myself and I. I just love my Long Bow and my Recurve. they just fit me better. i hung up my c-pound bow and have not looked back. trad shooting is great It put the love for archery back in my heart there in nothing like the simplicity of a trad bow just a stick and string to make the heart sing. It is amazing watching the flight of the arrow and then all the sudden it actually hits where you were looking the feeling of pride and accomplishment are incredible. so my vote is for the recurve if you have the time to invest in it. It is the greatedt thing. Good luck with any bow just get out shoot and have fun that is what it is all about.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you want the challenge, then go with a recurve. BTW, I have a King Pawn (ChekMate) on order right now, should be here next month.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Not sure, but sounds like you are new to archery. NO offense, I just assume that since it appears you are buying different gear as well. If im wrong, im sorry for the assumption. With this assumption, Id go with the compound. Its easier to learn. If you are not new, and looking for a new challange, Id go with the recurve. I shot all bows, and find hunting with a recurve or long bow is much more challenging. The first traditional kill is by far the most exciting.

I love compounds, but have as great of a love for traditionals.

Quick Reply: Compound or recurve?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.