Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Compound or recurve? >

Compound or recurve?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Compound or recurve?

Old 05-03-2006, 12:14 PM

Default RE: Compound or recurve?

Thanks for the help guys, maybe I just might go recurve. I am also kinda researching this for school so do recurve positives outweigh compound positives.

Burnie-No, I don't shoot a bow yet even though I hunt with an Excalibur crossbow.

ONbuckhunter-I don't live IN Drayton, I live just outside of it on Sideroad 12.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I would say a compound out weighs a recurve in every aspect. That would be in consideration towards ease and accuracy. A compound is very easy to learn compared to a recurve. Or from what I witness. I grew up with recurves, and learned on a recurve/long bow and going to compounds took me about a day or two to get to where I had good groups out to 20 yards. I cant say Ive seen that with people going from compounds to recurves. Compounds are very forgiving. You cant over draw or under draw a compound. Well you can, but it will let you know. Its also much easier to hold a compound, especially since some have as much as 85% let off.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would say a compound out weighs a recurve in every aspect.
How about getting a shot off quickly, or shooting at moving targets such as pheasants, ducks, fish, etc.?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I would say a compound out weighs a recurve in every aspect.
How about getting a shot off quickly, or shooting at moving targets such as pheasants, ducks, fish, etc.?
It does take years of practice and experiance to accomplish those tasks.Im simple saying in the case of someone wanting to get a bow and start shooting at a target.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

It does take years of practice and experiance to accomplish those tasks.Im simple saying in the case of someone wanting to get a bow and start shooting at a target.

I understand what you mean. And I should have read your initial post a bit better. It does take a while to develope form and then accuracy with traditioanl equipment, but when it happens, it can be even more deadly then a compound in a lot of situations, especially within 30 yards.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:53 PM

(generally speaking)

compound is vastly more accurate. pick it up, shoot 10 minutes and you'll be good enough to hunt with.

they're that good

recurve/longbows take a lot of practice. Not as much money into them vs a high dollar compound either. not as accurate, by far

your choice in weapoins, just make sure the arrow goes where you want it to. I choose trad archery for the challenge. Compounds are no challenge to be accurate with for me.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

hey AKinPA, you dont have to show us pics of robin hood
Old 05-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I understand what you mean. And I should have read your initial post a bit better. It does take a while to develope form and then accuracy with traditioanl equipment, but when it happens, it can be even more deadly then a compound in a lot of situations, especially within 30 yards.
No problem. You are right about traditionals. Once the instinct sticks, you are a deadly weapon.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:19 PM

I gave up the compound last fall and picked up a chek-mate falcon and I have never being happier. The falcon is a fantastic recurve for the money and once you get form and learn the bow its alot more fun to hunt and shoot(just my opinion) more challenging but less to worry about on the technical side no sights to fiddle with no arrow rest to worry about.

If you go with the recurve you will never look back. As mentioned above with a compound once its set up and tuned you can be very effective with it in a very short time and hang it up for mths and pick it up before hunting season starts and be just as good, but with a recuve/longbow you have to practice all the time to keep your skills sharp enough to take game effectively. Good luck and have fun with whatever you choose.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not as much money into them vs a high dollar compound either.
I'd have to say that's a myth, you can spend $1,000 easy on a custom longbow or recurve. Check out Black Widow as an example, and they are not even completely hand made anymore.

Quick Reply: Compound or recurve?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.