Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Compound or recurve? >

Compound or recurve?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Compound or recurve?

Old 05-04-2006, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Compound or recurve?

As mentioned above with a compound once its set up and tuned you can be very effective with it in a very short time and hang it up for mths and pick it up before hunting season starts and be just as good, but with a recuve/longbow you have to practice all the time to keep your skills sharp enough to take game effectively. Good luck and have fun with whatever you choose.
Well said. But to show a few examples of what traditional can do, see below. Below is a picture of my son when he was eight (second year shooting) at 10 yards:

Here is him at 9:

And one at 10:

Below is a group of mine at25 yards, below at16 yards, the reason I'm showing these pictures is to show that it can be done with a little work:

Old 05-04-2006, 08:13 AM

Go with the one that doesn't have "training wheels"
Old 05-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: slugman

Go with the one that doesn't have "training wheels"
Ive never heard that one. I like it. Lol. I like them all with or without training wheels.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:18 AM

might just change my sig to say something to that effect. Dont get me wrong , I still use the compound about 2 times a yr. , but most of my hunting is done with my recurve.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:58 AM

BobCo19-65 A good compound setup = $750 or more and resale on it will be 1/2 that

True, new recurves and longbows can eclipse $1,000, and Lord knows I'd bought many bows in the past 3 years and fully know that, however buy a used Widow and you'll not lose hardly any if at all on it.

You won't buy a Mathews compound today and sell it in 6 months or a year without losing a LOT of its value
Old 05-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

A good compound setup = $750 or more and resale on it will be 1/2 that

True, new recurves and longbows can eclipse $1,000, and Lord knows I'd bought many bows in the past 3 years and fully know that, however buy a used Widow and you'll not lose hardly any if at all on it.

You won't buy a Mathews compound today and sell it in 6 months or a year without losing a LOT of its value
I agree, and my Adcock Longbow has actually appreciated from my buying price, not that I would ever sell. Especially since he has stopped taken orders a few years back and has no plans as of now to start again.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Big Red Porkers

(generally speaking)

compound is vastly more accurate. pick it up, shoot 10 minutes and you'll be good enough to hunt with.

they're that good

recurve/longbows take a lot of practice. Not as much money into them vs a high dollar compound either. not as accurate, by far

your choice in weapoins, just make sure the arrow goes where you want it to. I choose trad archery for the challenge. Compounds are no challenge to be accurate with for me.
I don't want anyone whois new to archery and has been shooting for 10 minutes hunting anywhere near me. I don't have the time to hear them cry about how they can't find their deer. I know you're probably exaggerating but it definitely takes more than 10 minutes.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:11 PM

turtleshell no, I'm NOT exaggerating.

I can take any tuned compound and be accurate with it in 10 minute NO PROBLEM. I've seen every novice, never before shot a compound bow hunter go from never held or drawn a compound to shooting killing size groups.

Compounds are, by design, easy to shoot. Why do you think most bowhunters use them ? Very easy, and getting easier eash year.

Theres a reason for the letoff, the sights, the peeps, the drop away rests, the parallel limb technology, the bright fiber pins, the mechanical release, the short ATA and long brace height ........ all designed to be very easy to shoot, very easy to learn.

Its not a point to argue, its simply the truth of the matter.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:23 PM

Big Red, I shoot with alot of wheelie boys, and they dont like putting the first arrow into any target under twenty yards, because I will strip vanes of of them with my longbow, so Im going to have to disagree with rercurves and longbows being "Not as accurate, by far...".

Not to be a pain or anything, but Im going to have to go with turtleshell on this one. Yes, Im sure you can take "any tuned compound and be accurate..." but like turtleshell said, I doubt anyone with ten minutes of shooting experience could be ready for the woods.

Just my two cents...
Old 05-04-2006, 08:30 PM

Whitehair - if you shoot that good you should be pro because you're in the upper 1% of trad shooters being able to keep arrow diamter accuracy at 20 yards.

You cannot argue that compounds are built, by design, and stacked will all the accessories with 1 goal in mind - easy of shooting. That is a 100% absolute true. Manufacturers KNOW that 1 thing will ALWAYS sell - and that is to take a product and make it easier to use - and thats exactly where modern compounds are right now.

I understand the need for people who shoot compounds to think they're really doing something terribly hard - but its simply not true. Compound accuracy is as easy as an afternoon of practice with one. Hunting the deer is the hard part, not mastering how to shoot the arrows accurately.

Quick Reply: Compound or recurve?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.