Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Compound or recurve? >

Compound or recurve?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Compound or recurve?

Old 05-11-2006, 04:25 PM

Default RE: Compound or recurve?

everyone is different as far as strength. My buddy can bench press 3 times what I can but can't handle a 57# bow very well - go figure.

go to a local shot that has some recurve and longbows and try them. Its a very simplistic way to shoot - focus, draw, hit your anchor and release. If you're not cross-dominant in eye vs hand, you can use a sighting method lik eusing the shaft as a point of aim. if you are cross dominant like I am, its impossible to do, and you'll have to create your own method, something like Howard Hill had.

Some people shoot target style (Yen) some people shoot head bent to side (Hill) some people look gorgeous in their form (Bear) and some people hunch up like their pooping (Fred Asbell) - develope your own.

Its tough. Your first arrows will go EVERYWHERE and I mean not within 2 feet of where you wanted them to.

But when you get it down, and go into the woods stump shooting and pop a clump of grass that you didn't know was 34 yards away by simply focusing, drawing and releasing using no sights, no mechanical devices - just you the string and the bow - its a magical thing. Taking a deer with trad equipment is the a whole different ballgame
Old 05-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

My buddy can bench press 3 times what I can but can't handle a 57# bow very well - go figure.
I'm a crotchetty old fart 62 years old that has a hard timepulling myselfout of bed and I can handle 55 pounds on my recurve easily. GO figure.[8D][8D] I know what you mean Porker about muscle man not being able to do it. My buddy that doesn't bow hunt wanted to try and shoot my bow on a turkey trip a couple years ago. He goes to the gym every day, lifts weights 3 days a week, can carry me around but couldn't break my 70 pound compound over no matter how many times he tried. It really got in his head.LOL
Old 05-11-2006, 05:05 PM

Like ya'll said, a lot of it depends on the style you shoot... I have a much more up right target form.... I hold at full draw for several seconds... Therefore I prefer a lighter weight bow.... If you are a touch and got type guy, you can handle much more weight.....
Old 05-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Double Creek, I learned from the get go on a 55 pound recurve 35 years ago. I used to shoot much like you do only more rinky dink. I had a sight on my old recurve. With my latest bow I'm doing it the Byron Ferguson way from the get go. I figure I've been away from trad long enough to forget my old style. I used to have the bow upright and all that, draw, anchor and release. I'm really getting into this canted bow, lean, draw, hit the anchor and it's gone. I got it back to 15 and 20 yard shot pretty quickly. I guess after shooting 15 million[8D] arrows in 35 years you get the feel of what a bow will do once you shoot an arrow. 15 is a given but I'll drop some at 20 that tells me I'm not ready for takiing it to the woods just yet. I had a little trouble at first but was worrying too much about the gap and not the spot. Now I don't even think gap. I just have to get more religious about practicing. When I get to where I'm comfy with 25 I'll take it to the woods. You can't pick it up once a week and build any muscle memory. I've just tinkered with it until now. Too many other things going on in my life... or should I say Non-life.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:23 AM

Good deal davidmil!! I hope you come back 100% trad! With the adventures you have, it would make for some fun reading!

From what I've seen at tournaments, if you can consistently hit the kill zone at 20yds, you will be ahead of the pack..... Most seem to limit themselves to 15yds and under..... Its really a shame...... With the proper work and form, 25yd accuracy is not unattainable.....

And like you, when I start dropping shots at 20yds, 9 times out of 10 it is b/c I wasn't concentrating on the spot.... I was either thinking about the gap, thinking about my bow arm, thinking about my back tension, or thinking about my release.... Your dang brain can really get in the way! If you just let it go and trust it, it will AMAZE you!!!

One thing I have to continuously work on is getting that subconscience release..... Itseasier said than done...... Ever since I've gone to a more target style, I've gotten much more accurate, but it is also much more critical that form is correct..... One slight mistake and I seem to miss worse than when I was just touch and go...... I'm getting there, it will just take time and work...... My goal is 10 ring accuracy out to 25yds on EVERY shot.....
Old 05-12-2006, 05:41 AM

I read an articl on Sentman the other day. He said he was a lanky fellow all his life, never real muscular - and never met a bow he couldn't full draw. I think 170 or 180 pounds was the heaviest he ever drew, his common, everyday bows are 90 pound longbows. His theory is that some people have more tendons and ligaments - or they're just different - and that muscles really don't aid that much in drawing a bow back.

I found it an interesting article because I'm a small guy, I'm weak upper body, yet somehow I manage to get things done, like shooting a bow, that stronger men find unable to do.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matthew, I'd really suggest posting your question about which recuve/longbow typeand poundage over on the Traditional Forum. You have been given some good info here from some current andsome ex-trad shooters, but there are a few more hardcores over on the the trad formum that won't post elsewhere. Could get some more good info over there.

Bob
Old 05-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

To show you the level of consistancy you can have, Flhunters son, Eric, was up here to hunt with Len and I 3 years ago. The boy is fantastic. He can shoot better than a lot of compound folks. He can cut X's all day long. He's just plain deadly. He practiced and practiced and still practices religiously. He will make you shake your head. He shot 2 deer in two days at our place. I found some scrapes and things a week before they came and stayed out of that area to give Eric or Flhunter a chance at him. When Eric got here I took him out, showed the spot to him and we hung a stand. That night he shot a smaller deer and the next morning shot this one. I'm sure Eric could outshoot a lot of compound shooter here. He's always at the top of the heap in tournaments. Eric and his Dad, Flhunter who is also a very accomplished archer with compound and trad equip. Note the blood right where they heart is. Both deer were shot in the same spot. If I remember correctly he dressed at 168 or 166 and only made it 20 yards.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:20 AM

He practiced and practiced and still practices religiously
a key to any success