Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Slick Tricks and Elk? >

Slick Tricks and Elk?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slick Tricks and Elk?

Old 03-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Slick Tricks and Elk?

Why would you make a statment like "Really, they could be a lot sharper." when you have not even seen them yet. I'm assuming that you have not seen them from your second comment which I quoted.
Because two people I respect their knowledge told me they're dull. Plus 5 SHOTS test said they're dull. PLUS, I went to Lens today and looked at them. They're beyond dull. You can run your finger up and down the things and not get cut. They don't have the beginning of an edge as far as I'm concerned... but hey, why would I say that? Because they're dull.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Slick Tricks I bought last year(magnums) are sharp enough to shave the hair on the back of my hand. I just now pulled a blade out of the pack and tried. They are not as sharp as Thunderheads but they definatelykill whitetail deer with no problems. All my shots with them last year were pass throughs with zero damage to the ferrule or the blades. I really have no idea how they would work on elk but they work as advertised on a whitetail.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really find any research that you have done suspect.

Plus 5 SHOTS test said they're dull.
Didwe reading the same test results? Did you actually read 5-shots test results?

5-shot:
Blade sharpness is very good and accuracy is outstanding.
http://www.broadheadtests.com/NEWHEADS.html

BTW, theblades I used were sharp (now I'm not saying sharpest on the market) and needed no additional sharpening. I no longer use the broadhead since I have gone 100% traditional and prefer a cut on contact head.The slick trickblades are very thick, close to twice the thickness of aMuzzy, so I can understand how maybe they give the appearance of maybe not being as sharp as a thinner blade. I like the thickness of the blade since it can withstand a lot of practice. The thinest blade that I have everbought was on a rocket buckblaster (fixed blade), but the blade wasn't worth a hoot for durabilitybut it was sharp.I shot it into a target once and bent it. Theslick trick bladesI had could shave easily - for whatever that is worth, and on the three deer that I killed with the head, I had very good penetration, and blood trails.

That is why I really wonder about your biasness, misquoted statement, and overall opinion.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

davidmil,
If you are implying that Slick Tricks are too dull to get the job done, you are sadly mistaken. Can they be sharper sure, do they need to be sharper? I have been using the Magnum 125 grainSlick Tricks for 4 seasons, and my inthe fieldexperiences say no. Ihave harvested atleast a dozen whitetail and bear with them. All pass throughs, and quick humane kills. To me, The true testis in the field not standing in a retail store. There aremany very good heads out there. The Slick Trick being one of them. I personally have never shot a better all around head, and that is coming form a former Muzzy and Thunderhead guy.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Didwe reading the same test results? Did you actually read 5-shots test results?

It says DULL. B minus is not sharp in my way of thinking. PLUS, I can't cut myself with the things without making a concerted effort. You run your fingers down a thunderhead and it's bleeding badly.
Slick Trick 100 grain 4 blade:
Plywood: 5 points
Steel drum: 4 points
Tire: 2 points
Cutting diameter: 3 points
Accuracy: 4 points
Blades 4 points
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Total Score: 24 with a blade sharpness rating of B-
Old 04-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

True... It's due to the overall thickness of the blades on the Slick Tricks. That's why it seemsthey don't slice your finger to ribbons.

What I have done (to the 100gr blades that Oldhootowl sent me) is run them carefully on a wetstone and held tight by a someneedlenose pliers. Then in the same needlenose pliers, I buffed them with a dremel and the tiny buffing wheel. These 100gr Slick Tricks that I have are now wickedly sharp! Run your finger down these blades, and you WILL get cut.... [&:]

The most deadliest, most nastiest, most evil, broadhead that I have seen to date is the Magnus Stinger. You mentioned the Thunderhead and running your finger down it will get you bleeding badly. You run your finger down a Magnus Stinger and you're missing a finger!!!! [&:][]
Old 04-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

It says DULL.
I'm just not seeing where it says dull. Maybe you could provide a link. Maybe that is your opinion, which you gave even before examining the heads,but the report does not say dull. What is says is truthfully quoted below.

Once again, from 5-shot.
Blade sharpness is very good and accuracy is outstanding.

B minus is not sharp in my way of thinking.
I understand that you do not believe B- is not sharp. But you're not reporting the correct score (B) and are ignorring that supporting statement by 5-shot that the blades are very sharp.

I don't seehow theese findings by 5-shot can be interpreted to mean that this is a dull blade. Maybe that is how you interpreted it, but that is not what is written.

Just wondering what your motivation is to keep reporting inaccurate research, or convienently leaving outor ignorring informationto just to support your case.

PLUS, I can't cut myself with the things without making a concerted effort.
Trying to puposely cut yourself (with any material) really makes me wonder.

Butch, I agree with you on the sharpness of the Stingers. I used them with my longbow last year and took a very nice deer. I had blood thrown up to four feet on both sides of the trail in the snow. Below is a picture:

Old 04-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

What i think is if your not satisfied with blade sharpness out of the package SHARPEN them yourself and all your problems will be over.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lunker hunter
What i think is if your not satisfied with blade sharpness out of the package SHARPEN them yourself and all your problems will be over.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

I believe (IMHO) that I have the best of both worlds with broadheads....
#1 Broadhead to reach for: Magnus Stinger.
#1 Broadhead to reach for in windy conditions: Slick Tricks.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

I copied the B- with a copy paste from his test. Here's the link: http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/slick_trick_100_grain_4_blade.htm He evidently has two different locations. Second, I give. I've already said I'm no expert at sharpening. You use what you want, I'll use what I want. I'm not pushing arteries aside. If I nick them they bleed. That will never be the case with this broadhead. BUT...> UNCLE... I give. I just felt the people of this board should be exposed to all sides of an arguement, especially when it's such a critical element of our set ups. Obviously there are far better choices than this overly small dull broadhead.

Quick Reply: Slick Tricks and Elk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.