Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Slick Tricks and Elk? >

Slick Tricks and Elk?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slick Tricks and Elk?

Old 03-29-2006, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Slick Tricks and Elk?

OK>>>> OK.... so I'm interested. Old Coot or HOOT[8D][8D]can you clarify one thing for me. You mentioned you came out with the 1" head for people who wanted super penetration. I've always been a fan of "a little bigger"... "a little heavier", meaning 125 grain On paper I'd pick the 125s with the 1 1/8 inch diameter. It almost sounds like you're saying the 1" are better????? I mean, I can't see much in this head to slow my penetration. I've shot dozens of deer(probably close to 40 or 45)with my 125 Thunderheads and have always gotten pass throughs. It would seem to me the extra blade wouldn't slow my penetration THAT much that would make it necessary to go to a smaller weight head???? Am I right. I'm pushing a 425 grain arrow at 263-265 fps. NO one has mentioned sharpness out of the box? I am a clutz with a sharpener. I've always just shot my Thunderheads and put in new blades when I had the thing tuned. I never felt a need to sharpen them. Someone tell me the deal????
Old 03-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

NO one has mentioned sharpness out of the box? I am a clutz with a sharpener.
I've heard some complain about the sharpness out of the box, but that has never been my experience. I have found them to be extremely sharp. I believe 5 shot graded the sharpness on his site also.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Davidmil, let me send you a PM...
Old 03-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

YUP, 5 Shot gave them a B-. That to me makes me not want to try them. I really don't think I should have to finish the job for a manufacturer by sharpening his blades.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:32 PM

What kind of a rating did Muzzy's get? I know from experience that they truly are "Bad to the bone". I just want to experiment and try something different and new.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:35 PM

Actually 5 shot gives Tricks a B and Muzzy a B. As to penetration, let me clarify. Both the 100 and 125 use the same blades, and there are two sizes of blades that interchange, 1" Standard and 1 1/8" Magnum.

The Magnums will penetrate about the same as a Thunderhead while blowing a larger hole. The Standards are called standard because the 4 blades and geometry will blow as good a hole as the standard 3 blade head such as TH and Muzzy, while outpenetrating them.

Just a choice to customize taste. Some guys shooting 70 lbs prefer to shoot Standards at everything and some prefer Mags.

I would recommend the Standards to those shooting less than 60 lbs.
And, for 60-70 lbs I prefer the Mags for deer and bear, and the Standards for elk and such. Since the blades interchange you could buy a pack of Mags and an extra pack of Standard blades to swap in and be ready with either. But, thats me and I like super penetration for bigger stuff.

But all the African animals on the site were shot with Mags except for the warthogs that the lady shot with 85s. That was before the Standards came out last fall, will be interesting to see which becomes more popular. Standards are picking up with guys who figure they have a good open hole with them and like the super penetration.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oldhootowl,

That's just what I did (thank you BTW...). I have the 125 grain 1 1/8" magnums and also the 1" standards. Since I got my new bow and calculated it shooting 273fps at 67# draw with a Beman ICS 340 arrow, I swapped out the blades and put in the standards. They still fly like bullets!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Why can't they come with a better edge on them? Really, they could be a lot sharper. I'm not impressed with "Blowing big holes" as much as I am with razor sharp. I'll get down to Len's and look at them but I really like sharp.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why can't they come with a better edge on them? Really, they could be a lot sharper.
I'll get down to Len's and look at them but I really like sharp.
Why would you make a statment like "Really, they could be a lot sharper." when you have not even seen them yet. I'm assuming that you have not seen them from your second comment which I quoted.

Sounds to me like there will probably be some bias there for some strange reason. Maybe you could explain.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

I havea question Oldhoot,would hunters be able to use a 1"blade and a 1-1/8" blade combined to give the hunter 2 different cutting diameters on one broad head? Is it even possible? Just wondering,i will be using your heads this season for deer and most likely i will order direct from your site.

Quick Reply: Slick Tricks and Elk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.