Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New bow dilemma

Old 03-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default New bow dilemma

As some of you know, I've been ecstatic about getting back into bow hunting and put my layaway deposit down on a Fred Bear "TRX 400"(best I can tell its a "omni pro" but dressed for Gander mountain.) I did this after shooting it a few times and though it had some hand shock and noise I figured that would tame out with limbsavers and what not. I had also been on every online archery website I could get my browsers hands on and hadn't really found anything I was too excited about... that I could afford anyways.

Then about 2 wks later I was poking around huntersfriend.com and decided to run the numbers. (BIG mistake)

I figured out that I could get a fully outfitted and tuned Reflex Highlander for the cost of the TRX 400 after I put all the vib.dampeners and whatnot on it. That's even AFTER absorbing the $65.00 lawaway deposit at Gander.

I've been kicking myself ever since. Told my wife and she said, "tough". Grrr. I'm sure the TRX is a good bow, but the allure of the Highlander already outfitted with my preffered accessories is one of those things I don't want to say "I wish I had done that instead...."

*rubs sore butt from all the self-kicking*

Old 03-22-2006, 07:09 PM

Default RE: New bow dilemma

Why don't you just cancel the TRX 400 and go w/ the Highlander? I have never put anything on layaway before but you aren't committed to buying it, I wouldn't think so anyway. I'm sure they would give you your deposit back.

EDIT: Maybe I read your post wrong the first time. You already have the bow? Thats a bummer.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

I doubt it, especially to go get a bow from someone else.

Besides, my wife went on a tirade about finishing what I started and doing what I say I'm gonna do.

*sigh* It's hard to pass up on twice the bow for the same price. I'm going to try to get to a real shop sometime this weekend and put my hands on the reflex to try one out. There's just not really one around. 1 hr drive to the only one I know of.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:12 PM

Devoh, I bought a Fred Bear TRX 400 last August from Gander Mountain. The price was okay, about $300 with thesights, rest and quiver. I added string leeches, stablizer and limbsavers. The key here was it was the only left handed bow in my price range. Had been using a right handed bow for a couple of years. Felt pretty good when my hunting partner and I were shooting and he said it was quieter then his martin and he thought it could be faster also. Just letting you know it is a pretty good bow.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:08 AM

Davoh, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I know for a fact that Gander Mountain WILL refund your layaway deposit, no questions asked. IMO, you don't owe them an explanation anyway.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Berwindale. That would seal it then. Hehe.