Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Which BP to use Dilemma, Help >

Which BP to use Dilemma, Help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which BP to use Dilemma, Help

Old 12-07-2004, 05:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default Which BP to use Dilemma, Help

Here’s the dilemma, Which BP to use. I have old trusty, actually only 2 years old and a virgin, a Traditions Evolution inline with scope and 209 ignition a good shooter and very reliable. BP number two is a Traditions centennial thumbhole in the stock short barrel and scope that fits me like a glove. I can shoot it much better with a minimal rest like I have in my stand for BP. The problem is the centennial uses a musket cap and has misfired at the range a few times with no clear reason why. So it boils down to better aiming or more reliability. I really like the centennial better but would commit Hara Kari if I misfire on a big buck. What are your thoughts????
Old 12-07-2004, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which BP to use Dilemma, Help

I would focus on what type of shot do you expect to take. If you anticipate that any shot will come within close range because of the terain then I would go with the more reliable gun as accuracy won't be quite as important. On the other hand if the area you hunt presents a lot of long shot opportunities then I would go with the more accurate gun as you would not want to wound the animal. Just my opinion.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Usually if a rifle fails to fire, hangfires or misfires, I would examine the reason as to why this might be happening. Then correct that problem. Musket caps produce a large amount of flame into the breech of the rifle which should produce reliable ignition no matter what. Fix your favorite rifle and use it. In the mean time until you get the rifle fixed take the one your sure will go off, unless accuracy is a real concern. If you feel the 209 accuracy wise can not do the job, then even though it will go off every time there is no use depending on the rifle for that critical shot.

Before you load your Traditions centennial thumbhole with the musket nipple, make sure that the breech of the rifle is clean and dry. No excess oils or bore butter or anything down there. Swab that barrel with isopropyl alcohol before loading, then some dry patches. This will make the bore ready. Now put a clean white patch on your cleaning jag and push it to the bottom of the breech. Now pop a musket cap. Pull the patch and check it. If it is not blackened, then there is a problem in the musket nipple or the bolster area of the rifle. You then need to clean thoses area and replace the nipple with a hot shot type nipple.

Another question is what kind of powder are you shooting? If it is pellets, get ride of it and go to loose powder. Loose powder ignites much easier then pellets. If you're burning a synthetic powder like Triple Se7en and Pyrodex then try some Goex FFFg black powder. Black Powder lights off much faster and easier then the synthetic powders.

Good luck when that big monster mossy horn walks out in front of you.....
Old 12-08-2004, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys. I am going with the Centennial. I fired it a few times in the rain yesterday and it seemed just fine. I think I have gotten better at keeping the nipple hole free of butter. Any way thanks again and check out the Centennial on my other post. BP opener is today and its supposed to get nice out after days of rain YEHOO