Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dilemma:

Old 11-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Dilemma:

Dilemma:

I’ve been scouting a new hunting area….and I’ve seen a good sized 8-pointer (OK….good sized for around here) and 3 other bucks cross the road and enter my patch of woods both last Thursday morning and this morning. This is at first light (actually before sunrise)…..and they’re crossing at the same place. I can’t tell WHERE they’re going after they enter the woods……so setting up could be a problem. If I set up exactly where they’re entering the woodlot…..I take a chance on them coming through BEFORE shooting light…..and them catching my scent. If I wait and scout further…..to see where they’re headed…….I take a chance on them going COMPLETELY nocturnal (Muzzle Loader season begins here, this coming Saturday.

I’ve not hunted this woodlot AT ALL, this year…..so I know it’s clean. Would you throw caution to the wind…..and set up in there for a one-time ambush? Would you watch them a time or two more and try to do this more accurately? Would you hunt it every morning you could and take your chances (assuming the wind is right)?

Interesting, anyways!

Jeff
Old 11-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dilemma:

Don't over think things. Just go in and hunt where you think they will walk by as long as there insn't a horribly bad wind blowing right where you think they will come.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, hunt as you normally would unless the wind is obviously going to give you away.

Also keep in mind in the mornings scent drifts up as opposed to downward in the evening.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:10 AM

It sounds like to me you are a careful and responsible hunter, so I say go with your gut feeligs on this. You know the area, and you know what the deer in your area will tolerate. Just keep using scent control practices, and use your head. LikeI said you seem to be a smart hunter, so trust yourself.

Good luck and be safe

God Bless

Old 11-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

It's a one-time shot, though (one time, per morning). It's either.....get one by 7:00......or get down. Hopefully.....I'll get him, first chance. If not....hopefully I'll be clean enough to get a second chance.

I'm gonna go in the AM.....barring rain.....and take a pot-shot at the situation. It's funny.....if I don't get him......I'm gonna be REALLY exposed when the park next door opens!

Jeff
Old 11-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get after those deer, buddy. First time in is usually the best. Ambush and hope for the best. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

It's a one-time shot, though (one time, per morning). It's either.....get one by 7:00......or get down. Hopefully.....I'll get him, first chance. If not....hopefully I'll be clean enough to get a second chance.

I'm gonna go in the AM.....barring rain.....and take a pot-shot at the situation. It's funny.....if I don't get him......I'm gonna be REALLY exposed when the park next door opens!

Jeff

Let us know the outcome! Hopefully you are busy dressin and draggin! Good luck.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Outcome:

No buck crossed.....only one HUGE doe and her two fawns. Man was she a biggun, though.

It rained the whole time I was in the tree. I know my scent's out of there, already.....and I'm ready to try it another morning.

Jeff