Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antler Restrictions >

Antler Restrictions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
45.24%
No
50.00%
Coming soon
4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Antler Restrictions

Old 02-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Antler Restrictions

I haven't yet. They started AR in a few counties last year (or maybe its been a couple of years now) and apparently liked the results. They added some counties last year and one of them is a county I have hunted in so maybe I will be.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:19 PM

I would love it here in NY. Rarely do I see a 1 1/2 year old buck with 4 on one side.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:09 PM

I know this is off topic but can someone tell me how to start my own team for next years contest? I cant find the team contest thread.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BerwindaleBoy

I know this is off topic but can someone tell me how to start my own team for next years contest? I cant find the team contest thread.
Nice thread jack. I think you just have to sign up and the teams are picked. Maybe post the question.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

AR - you mean mandatory trophy management?
Where one group gets the power to decide what everyone's "trophy should be?
Where a 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 (YOUNG)buck with 3 per or 4 per side scoring 60 is a shooter?
Where a 4 1/2 yo, true mature buck with a 16' set of spikes walks?
Quess my opinion of MANDATORY AR (attempted trophy) management.

Steve
Old 02-12-2006, 06:31 PM

Yes im for them.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:52 PM

Ahh, the AR debate.

First off, let me say that I have no problem with someone killing whatever they want, as long as its legal. Though, from a management standpoint, I think it is wrong.

I also think everyone gets antler restrictions mixed up with trophy hunting.

In an area where the buck to doe ratio is out of wack it would be very useful. Instead of killing a small buck, someone would be more apt to kill a doe, thus bringing the ratio back in check. Think about it, 1 less buck killed and one more doe killed, thatsa 2 deer swing closer to a better ratio. There would then be more mature bucks to do the breeding, and there would also be less does bred during the second estrous.This would easily create a healthier deer herd.

ORIGINAL: -DeerSlayer-

Antler restrictions are a bad idea in my true opinion. I have always disliked the fact that if there is a mature deer with a little amount of points, I can't kill it to manage my land? It defeats the whole purpose of management. Points are genetic and I have a couple 2-3 1/2 6 pts. running around my property, and IF we had AR's, I would not be able to take them out of my deer herd. I am against the idea, but others like it because it makes hunters pass on smaller bucks, but again, I have saw many yearlings with 8 or more points running around, anyone could take them out because they have a decent amount of POINTS, but are not MATURE. The whole thing is silly in my view.
DS
DeerSlayer, I see your point in your area. The difference is you are managing your deer herd as a trophy herd, yet it is also a quality herd. It is my understanding that a trophy herd is also a quality herd. I believe it would be a good idea in areas that need work on the quality of the herd. It is a much easier solution than trying to teach people whata mature deer looks like.

In most of Wisconsin, the ratio is messed up. I believe the DNR knows what needs to be done, but is afraid to lose the revenue. As far as management of the deer herd, ARs need to be in place. When the DNR does decide to do something about it, other than earn-a-buck, they need to educate the public some time in advance. It is not something a lot of people are going to be for, and should be introduced slowly.

I guess my answer to the poll was No, but I sure hope to in the future.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

AR - you mean mandatory trophy management?
Where one group gets the power to decide what everyone's "trophy should be?
Where a 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 (YOUNG)buck with 3 per or 4 per side scoring 60 is a shooter?
Where a 4 1/2 yo, true mature buck with a 16' set of spikes walks?
Quess my opinion of MANDATORY AR (attempted trophy) management.

Steve
What is it with everyone in NY? Are you Atlasman's brother? Geeez. Why so defensive?

I'll agree it's not a perfect management system but it's better than none at all believe that. And your examples of young bucks with large racks and old bucks with spikes is ridiculous and 99.9% of the time the exception rather than the rule.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes I think AR's would be less of a blessing for the proponents than they are thinking it is. While it would keep some young deer from getting shot your best young deer are still going to be shot.. At least in around here in Illinois you see a lot of 4 to a side deer that are only a 1.5 old so you are not going to change your age structure as much as you might hope by making AR's.. In fact, you will be allowing the slower rack developing genetics a competative advantage by protecting them from hunting which in turn would allow them to breed more animals. Just a thought folks.
I agree, IL Rancher... After having hunted Illinois more than 70 or 80 days each of the past six years, AR's would definitely NOT be the right tool in a place like Illinois... Remember, that's all that antler restrictions are: a tool out of a toolbox with which game managers can utilize. I can tell you, however, that in Southeast Missouri, it's a tool that would work VERY well, as the average buck around here doesn't usually have four points to a side until he's at least atwo-and-a-half-year old...
Old 02-12-2006, 09:28 PM

Every area is going to have to be managed differently period.. IT is just a fact of life. Amount of public vs private land, nutrition, amount of hunting pressure. etc, etc... I don't even begin to claim to have an answer for other areas because I haven't been 1) Hunting long enough or 2) In enough different areas. I do know what I have seen in sheds around Illinois down South, around here and in the Northeast part of the state where I grew up.. I also listen to the older folks around here who claim the best thing that happend to this state was the 2 buck limit (I just nod my head because I didn't hunt deer when I was younger, only hunted birds so I really don't have a clue to the old rules) and that every year the deer are getting bigger and bigger, well I should say more large deer are taken every year.

AR might work great in your area, just don't forget that there might be other tools in the tool box that might work well too increase the age structure of bucks in the area.

Quick Reply: Antler Restrictions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.