Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antler Restrictions >

Antler Restrictions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
45.24%
No
50.00%
Coming soon
4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Antler Restrictions

Old 02-12-2006, 08:30 AM

Default RE: Antler Restrictions

Sometimes I think AR's would be less of a blessing for the proponents than they are thinking it is. While it would keep some young deer from getting shot your best young deer are still going to be shot.. At least in around here in Illinois you see a lot of 4 to a side deer that are only a 1.5 old so you are not going to change your age structure as much as you might hope by making AR's.. In fact, you will be allowing the slower rack developing genetics a competative advantage by protecting them from hunting which in turn would allow them to breed more animals. Just a thought folks.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

In MI, there are a few counties that have them, and for those counties they are working very well, but in others, the "brown its down" still reigns. Unfortunately, there was a referendum two years ago started by a local club to start the restrictions, but it was voted down. In the U.P. it is not at all uncommon to see 15-20 does and before seeing a buck. Last season, I between my brother and I, in one night, we saw 37 does and 2 bucks, the biggest being a 5 pointer. My story is not at all uncommon, more the rule than the exception. I love to see/shoot big deer, but the restrictions would also greatly help to get the herd into balance. Without any form of registration though, there is no way to regulate it. MI seems to be many years behind most of the states that have deer fame and tourism. Granted, our tourism industry is greatly bolstered by the deer season, but the vast majority are out of state people who are going take any buck that walks by. HOpefully the DNR can get with the program and do some more progressive managing of the herd but at this point, it doesn't look good.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I kinda wish it would come to Wi. I think it would greatly improve our out of balance buck/doe ratio.

While I agree that our buck to doe ratio is way out of balance , I'm not convinced that antler restrictions would correct this problem.

I will be completely open minded for anyone who tries to convince me that antler restrictions will work in getting the buck to doe ratio in check.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:41 AM

Id LIKE TO SEE IT BUT IT PROBABLY WONT HAPPEN, EVERYBODY HUNTS DIFFRENT , AND HAVE THERE OWN OPINIONS,WHO AM I TO JUDGE THEM
Old 02-12-2006, 10:26 AM

Antler ristrection have sure worked in British Columbia our season runs from sept 1 - dec 10 there is a 4 point ( on one antler) restiction on mule deer in the months of sept. nov. dec. for about the last 10 years . in the region i live in we are now shooting some massive bucks . But the best part is the yahoos that just drive around looking for some easy spike to shoot have all quit.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:29 AM

Im from Pa and I love the AR. The only problem in my area is that they allowed too many does to be harvested and now our deer # are way down. Also the junior hunters should not be allowed to take anything. When I started hunting I was trilled with even a doe so I dont see why they need to shot spikers and forkhorns. I have gotten my biggest bucks the last few years due to AR.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Antler restrictions are a bad idea in my true opinion. I have always disliked the fact that if there is a mature deer with a little amount of points, I can't kill it to manage my land? It defeates the whole purpose of management. Points are genetic and I have a couple 2-3 1/2 6 pts. running around my property, and IF we had AR's, I would not be able to take them out of my deer herd. I am against the idea, but others like it because it makes hunters pass on smaller bucks, but again, I have saw many yearlings with 8 or more points running around, anyone could take them out because they have a decent amount of POINTS, but are not MATURE. The whole thing is silly in my view.
DS
Old 02-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

AR are the best thing to have happened to PA.
I'd prefer to live in a place where enough people can show self restraint so that size regulations wouldn't need to be mandated, but in cases like PA something had to be done. Hopefully as time goes on, people will see the benefits of not mowing down any and every buck with 4" of bone on his head.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:58 PM

NY was looking at ARs but don't know if it went any further
& I hope it don't.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of Michigan is any buck. In the area I hunt, it must be a 6 point or larger and doesn't bother me because I don't mind passing on things smaller than that! I like them!

Quick Reply: Antler Restrictions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.