Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Camo Question

Old 02-08-2006, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Camo Question

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

"JMHO but I think alot of its a gimik, if they make it we will buy it. Turkeys are a whole different ball game but deer, if you can sit still & not stink will walk right by you most times."

I agree, but every morning I shower with my Axe shower gel, put Bod body spray on, and my own deoderant...and still get deer right below me. I think the "industry" has hoodwinked most hunters into believing that garbage. I've seen shows wherea deer was 200 yards across an open field...then turned and went a different direction. The hunter claimed he got "winded." lol
Pat I believe that, it's going to happen.....but I wonder...how many deer don't you see because of your practices?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

For deer and elk, I concentrate more on breaking up my outline or blending into a background.Deer and Elk don't see the color we do. I do like the concept of certain camo patterns, not for their color but for their break-up ability. Blending into our surroundings, having a quality background cover are key for me.I do like a 3-d leafy suit for breaking up my outlinewhilebowhuntingelk and deer, especially while off the ground. If I didn't have an open rifle black bear season to contend with here while I am bowhunting deer and elk, I would simplydress in all black from head to toe and blend into the shadows. Eye contact with animals is a big factor for me as well. I always hide my eyes when animals are bow close.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:46 AM

Mossy Oak and similiar always work fine for me, and I don't sit in "naked" trees so I'm skylighted. If you look at 100 pictures of tropy bucks with the hunter that killed them, I'd bet over 90% have some sort of hardwood camo pattern...not saying ASAT and similiar don't work; they may even be better, but until I've worn out all my "old stuff", I have better uses for my money. If someone wants to donate a set, I'll be glad to field test them in one of the finest whitetail counties in the great state of Ohio all year this year, and will give you all kinds of feedback.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, I hunt an area crowded with deer. An average day I have a deer within a few yards of my stand. I have one awesome spot where deer funel to and from fields/beds. I can count on 1 hand the # of days I didn't have a deer within bow range this past October/November. Granted, most of them were smaller..and 90% of them were does....but deer are deer.