Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Camo Question

Old 02-07-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Camo Question

How important is camo to bowhunting? There seems to be differing opinions on this topic. How aobut ghilie suits? How effective are they?
Old 02-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Camo Question

i believe that it is very in=mportant but you dont have to get fancy just conceal your self well
Old 02-07-2006, 03:52 PM

Well, camoflage is defined as blending in to your surroundings. So, I would say it is vitally important to bow hunting. How effective are ghillie suits? Extremely. Period. Any 3-d suit IMO is better than a flat surface.
If you really want the best, get the ASAT 3-D suit.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:57 PM

I have'nt tried the ghilie suit,and it depends on how and what your
bowhunting,but you need something to break up your human shape
and aids you in blending into your surrondings.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ghillie suits can get really hot sometimes though. but i agree with everyone else. its important to break up your shape.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My grandfather killed 30+ deer in overalls and a long sleeve shirt, standing against a tree or sitting on a branch.

With that said, I'm camo'd head to toe.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:09 PM

ASAT
Old 02-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

I think its a bit over rated. I use whatever I have, hardwoods, mossy oak, whatever. It needs to break up your outline & blend into the surroundings a bit but I think scent & movement are the real problems in getting busted. I'v had bucks come within 15 yards while I was wearing hunter orange jumpsuits that didn't know I was there before they heard "POW" & then its too late.
JMHO but I think alot of its a gimik, if they make it we will buy it. Turkeys are a whole different ball game but deer, if you can sit still & not stink will walk right by you most times.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of the camo clothing available do almost nothing to actually conceal you and break up your outline in the woods. They are all some sort of sticks and leaves pattern that's made up of browns and blacks that blend together and turn into a big human shaped brown or black blob at 20 yards or more.

Almost none of them have anything that actually breaks up an outline of a human in the woods.

ASAT and Predator are two of the best camo patterns available but they are so much lesser known because they aren't marketed like the Mossy Oaks and Real Trees are.

There is a test of camo patterns somewhere on the web and the most effective pattern in the test was a Hawian shirt. After it was converted to gray scale the persons torso all but disappeared into the tree he was standing in.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

"JMHO but I think alot of its a gimik, if they make it we will buy it. Turkeys are a whole different ball game but deer, if you can sit still & not stink will walk right by you most times."

I agree, but every morning I shower with my Axe shower gel, put Bod body spray on, and my own deoderant...and still get deer right below me. I think the "industry" has hoodwinked most hunters into believing that garbage. I've seen shows wherea deer was 200 yards across an open field...then turned and went a different direction. The hunter claimed he got "winded." lol

Quick Reply: Camo Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.