Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question on Camo

Old 03-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question on Camo

ok this question will seem very strange and maybe silly[&:]...lol!!! I' m wondering if your camo pattern has to match?? For example: my bro gave me some of his old military camo to use and I went out and bought a Leafy Camo Mask, full head mask. the patterns aren' t the same and I was wondering if that matters or not. I heard that turkeys can see extremely well and thats why I am asking this. I personally think it doesn' t matter but what the heck get some other opinions about this.

Outlaw[&:]
Old 03-07-2003, 08:38 PM

Default RE: Question on Camo

Different brands or different patterns of camo mixed or matched together aren' t going to matter to a turkey. The only thing camo of one kind from head to toe is going to be is a fashion statement on the hunter' s part. If you want to impress your friends, get a full outfit of the same stuff. If you want to take home a turkey, just be camo' d from head to toe, regardless of what the patterns are.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:43 PM

I wear camo, but it' s really over rated as far as wild game goes, IMO. Once, while dear hunting, I happened across a flock of hen turkeys on an open trail. I was wearing basic Carhart brown and an orange vest. I walked, slowly of course, towards them as they watched me and came within 30-40 yards before they wandered off the trail into the timber.

I once worked a jake to withing 15 yards with limited camo, and I had a jake walk withing a couple yards while I was standing out in the open, wearing camo but no concealment obviously, and not even take notice.

I' ve had dear and turkeys walk right by me, squirrels about run over me, and a rabbit gnaw on my boot toe. The key? Movement...or should I say NON movement (and also wind in the case of the dear). Never did figure the thing out with the flock of hens though.

I think different camo patterns are more appealing to us humans than effective in hunting. I' m not saying to go turkey hunting in hot pink pajamas (unless you REALLY want to ), but allot of what the game is about is confidence in your tactics and abilities. Just my opinion, of course. [:-]
Old 03-07-2003, 10:49 PM

AMEN to the fashion statement thing!

BTW, I saw the most DARLING little ensemble in Mossy Oak Breakup today! It was to DIE for! (you do realize I' m kidding, right?)
Old 03-08-2003, 09:25 AM

I hardly ever wear matching camo patterns. I think wearing different patterned top & bottoms will help break up your outline a little. I don' t have any proof that this really works or not, but I don' t think it hurts either.
Old 03-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

While cammo does help, it just one more thing for us to waste or money on. I know I do it. However to answer your question, you really don' t need to wear the same type of cammo from head to toe...just as long as you are coverd
Old 03-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Spike

Thanks alot guys.....I got the she devil convinced that if I buy one new camo garment I have to have the whole outfit......this has worked for years but now if she sees this thread my gravy train is over. [:@]
Old 03-08-2003, 01:22 PM

I have to agree with camohunter. I feel that the different patterns help break up your outline better.

cnyDoubleSpur
Old 03-08-2003, 01:44 PM

IF THE CAMO. DOESNT MATCH IT DOESNT REALLY MATTER IT IS THE MOVEMENT THAT THE TURKEYS SEE THE CAMO HELPS YOU BLEND IN BETTER IF U WANT TO IMPRESS THE OTHER HUNTERS GO BUY THE LATEST CAMO PATTEREN ALL MATCHING AND NEET BUT THE TURKEYS WILL NEVER NO IF YOU DONT MATCH IF YOU SIT STIL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2003, 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: bowhuntin1

Thanks alot guys.....I got the she devil convinced that if I buy one new camo garment I have to have the whole outfit......this has worked for years but now if she sees this thread my gravy train is over. [:@]
That' s why ya bring home roses along with the new camo.

Quick Reply: Question on Camo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.