Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

night vision

Old 11-24-2005, 10:14 PM

Default night vision

I usually get to my stand about an hour before daylight, and I just about always see deer and their "shapes" walking around in the woods, and in the field just behind my stand. Anyone ever watch them with night vision? I just want to know what I'm looking at, since they are never around once daylight hits. I'm assuming they are buck, since they are alone. Just wondered if anyone has ever tried it.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:00 AM

Default RE: night vision

If I were you I would check your state and local laws very carefully to see if it is legal to have night vision and a weapon with you at the same time. And by that I mean I would call the DNR and ask them personally.

I would hate to see you get busted for poaching when you are not. I doubt they will just take your word for it.

Paul
Old 11-25-2005, 10:14 AM

I did this once back in the day. It wasn't bow season yet
and I got the chance to take home some night vision goggles.
I set myself up in the cut corn field and waited. After dark I had
bucks coming out a the woodwork. They approached within 30 yards
or so before winding me. It was pretty cool to see this happen. The place
I was hunting was huge.....i figured I had to be deep in the woods and set
up properly to get one of the bucks. Well, the deeper I got into the woods
the tighter they got untilI hit private property. Long story short is that
they held back on that PP and I never got a shot. Looking back after I left
I shoulda knocked and asked permission.

Most Rules and Regs allow hunting from 1/2 hour before sunriseand 1/2 hr after sunset.
Night vision equipment, depending on the generation, can be VERY expensive. You'd have it taken
away for sure. They might even classify it as harrassment. Like said above, call and speak with your Game and Fish dept.

Old 11-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Iv looked at them from my house with a nightvision monocular, instead of two tubes just one to look through. It was kinda cheap like around 200 comapred to the other ones, it was cool but not worth the money in my book.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:23 PM

I never thought about it being against the law. I carry a flashlight, how can that be any different? I'll ask, just to make sure. I have had one for a couple of years, and it really isn't doing any good just sitting in the closet.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Dominant Buck

You should spend a couple nights in a war zone. You see all sorts of things before it gets light that aren't there.[8D] If you can see them with the naked eye, a good pair of binos would tilt the equation in your favor.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Spike

I bought night vision 2 years ago, which i sold. I wanted to use for walking to stand and look around in the dark.

I would get another pair, but i would spend few thousand dollars. You get what you pay for in them things! Don't go with single either! I would have some now, but i can't afford it.

Anyway...when i used them, the animals (deer, cat,etc..) would look right at me when i turned on the infered light. i think they can see it!